Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Thanks.
    No issues running HitmanPro build 290 BETA x64 on Windows 7 x64.

One question, however:

Some builds ago, there was an issue concerning HitmanPro shell integration, the "Scan with HitmanPro" item in Windows Explorer was missing.
    That was fixed in a later build, but it was only fixed with a clean installation, and not with an in place update of the previously installed version. If a previously installed version was updated, shell integration was still missing.
    This can be overcome with a little fix or trick, jumping though a few hoops, as mentioned in this thread (someone may be able to point out the regarding posts), but not all users read Wilders forums, and most common users won't have their HitmanPro shell integration fixed.

Now, the question:
    Does "Several minor fixes and improvements" include a fix for HitmanPro shell integration, not only with a clean install, but also with in place update of the previously installed version?
    If not - could this fix still be integrated in the release build?
    If not - is this forgotten, or has SurfRight/Sophos given up on fixing shell integration with in place update of the previously installed version?

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Shell integration came enabled on build 290. Launches and scans very quickly, and I like what's in the changelog. However, the strong blue interface and "S" on the shortcut are hard to miss...

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

GUI a bit different from other versions, but like it. Default Scan was 2 minutes 0 seconds compared to over 3 minutes on previous versions.
    Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64.

5. XIII

XIII Registered Member

The new Sophos style looks good!

6. Stupendous Man

Do you mean in settings in the HMP user interface?
    Yes, shell integration, "Scan with HitmanPro", is enabled in settings in the HMP user interface. That is not the issue.
    The isssue was that, some builds ago, even with the shell integration item enabled in HMP settings, the "Scan with HitmanPro" item was missing in Windows Explorer.
    And as I said, that was fixed in a later build, but it was only fixed with a clean installation, and not with an in place update of the previously installed version. If a previously installed version was updated, shell integration was still missing in Windows Explorer.
    As I mentioned in my previous reply, I hope this will be fixed with the upcoming release version.

7. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yes, I see what you mean, never had that specific issue before so I didn't know what you meant. Absolutely--the "enabled" setting is useless otherwise. OK. :)

Screenshot (25).png

8. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi @RonnyT

Can you update the download sites of it please and post the correct Versionsnumber please

With best Regards
    Mops21

9. Stupendous Man

HitmanPro 3.7.20.286 is still the latest release version, which is mentioned correctly on the site.
    HitmanPro 3.8.00.290 is the latest beta version, and is not yet mentioned on the site, however.

10. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Also is this the first Betaversion of HitmanPro 3.8.00 right

With best Regards
    Mops21

11. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

How did you get Sophos theme shell integration. I'm still SurfRight theme shell integration with Build 290 Beta

12. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

It came like that when beta 290 was installed. Right now, I have another issue and it's HMP reverting to its former build spontaneously. I have various logs and haven't un/reinstalled HitmanPro yet, pending an explanation. Settings included the shell integration and Run HitmanPro at startup. The docker text says "3.8" but clearly it's the older shortcut and the previous build launches. The new version is nowhere to be found. Where'd it go? :cautious:

Screenshot (28).png

Edit: Here, I show the new HMP icon in Windows Explorer but it launches the previous version. lol.

Screenshot (30).png

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017
  13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hmm, afaik beta do not install.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  14. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

The various HMP folders don't install into ProgramData and ProgramFiles? Also, the new beta was a clean installation. Anyhow, did you get the shell integration to work yet? I was in the jump-thru-the-hoops gang, as @Stupendous Man had mentioned, including getting the HMP desktop launcher to land on the desktop and re-launching HMP from that. Very amusing. :)

15. guest

guest Guest

I am wondering how you were able to install the beta :cautious:

16. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Maybe some remnants stayed on machine? This machine continues to have issues w/Fall CU. Today, following startup with the HMP scan starting as well, the Start Menu and taskbar were frozen yet again, after about a week of freedom from that. Did I say something wrong? :doubt:

17. guest

guest Guest

@plat1098
    In the rightclick-menu a "blue" icon ("Scan with HitmanPro") can be seen.
    I'm curious. If you navigate to c:\Program Files\HitmanPro\ , what Product version has the file hmpshext.dll.
    v3.7.0.0 or 3.8.0.0 (Digital timestamp: December 15, 2017) ?

18. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Hi @mood, I will hook up my other machine with the situation and provide the info later on today or tomorrow and update this post. Thank you for the interest to investigate--it's probably something extremely minor yet strange. :)

Edit: OK machine is connected and here is snip of info. Time stamp corresponds to release of 2.90. The older shortcut is on the dock and launches the green and older version of HitmanPro. :) @mood. I edited out some unnecessary snips.

Screenshot (39).png
    HMP progfiles.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2017
  19. guest

guest Guest

Code:
    Stable version (Digital Signature = April 2017):
    HitmanPro.exe = 11.313 KB
    hmpshext.dll = 167 KB (red icon)

New beta (December 2017):
    HitmanPro.exe = 11.282 KB
    hmpshext.dll = 169 KB (blue icon)
    In the directory #7944 i can see the stable build of HitmanPro(.exe), but the new version (beta) of hmpshext.dll
    Interesting :geek:
    And thats the reason why you can see a blue icon in the context menu.
    And it is still a beta, thats why it has reverted back to the latest stable version.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2017
  20. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

OK, well, it does no harm the way it is, it's just.....unusual. Appreciate that you took a look and the insight into the situation. :)

21. anon

anon Registered Member

Latest stable version = Hitman Pro 3.7.20 Build 286, release date: May 15, 2017.
    Seven months ago............

22. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Latest Beta less then a week ago............

23. Stupendous Man

@RonnyT, or @erikloman, or @markloman,

Have you noticed my Friday 15 post, and my questions, regarding HMP shell integration?

As I asked, last Friday:
    Does "Several minor fixes and improvements" in build 290 include a fix for HitmanPro shell integration, not only with a clean install, but also with in place update of the previously installed version?
    If not - could such fix still be integrated in the release build?
    If not - is this forgotten, or has SurfRight/Sophos given up on fixing shell integration with in place update of the previously installed version?

Background:
    Some builds ago, there was an issue concerning HitmanPro shell integration, the "Scan with HitmanPro" item in Windows Explorer was missing.
    That was fixed in a later build, but it was only fixed with a clean HMP installation, and not with an in place update of the previously installed version. If a previously installed version was updated, shell integration was still missing in Windows Explorer.
    This can be overcome with a little fix or trick, jumping though a few hoops, as mentioned in this thread (someone may be able to point out the regarding posts), but not all users read Wilders forums, and most common users won't have their HitmanPro shell integration fixed.

It would be a pity if this was to be overlooked, if SurfRight/Sophos would have the option to fix this in the upcoming release build.

24. L10090

L10090 Registered Member

I have a 3PC-2Yr license for HitmanPro.alert (build 723) and so for Hitmanpro (build 286).
    The license is activated on all my 3 PC's and expires 27-12-2018.

I just uninstalled HitmanPro build 286 on one of the PC's and reinstalled it again on the same PC.
    Ending up with a licensed HitmanPro.alert and a NON-activated HitmanPro. See the attached .jpg file

However entering the original license key generates a message "activation limit reached........"
    Any ideas how to solve this are very welcome!

Attached Files:

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.