Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

How can you install it when you just run the exe file to run Hitman Pro? How do I enable the option to enable Hitman Pro into windows shell intergration so I can scan files when I need? The option in the scan settings is greyed out.

2. erikloman

erikloman Developer

It is grayed out because you are running it NOT from the installation folder. Use the shortcut on the desktop or startmenu which points the installed location.

If not installed, click on Next and it will walk you through the installation. After installation click on the shortcut and you'll be able to enable shell integration.

3. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

Ahhh gotcha, thanks

4. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

I just found out that hitman pro can also scan particular files. Just wonder if hitmanpro.exe returns any result codes depending on infection detection. Could not find anything in the manual. Thanks!

5. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Now that's strange - I wanted to test if hitmanpro scanning works and found out that it says those files were clean:

~ Removed VirusTotal Results as per Policy ~

How is this possible?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
  6. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

The HMP scanning engine doesn't find the files suspicious so they don't get uploaded to the cloud for scanning with Kaspersky/BitDefender/Sophos signatures.

7. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Ok, but I received them through e-mail, and somehow I don't believe they are harmless.

8. feerf56

feerf56 Registered Member

False alarm:

Snap1.jpg

9. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Yes, a lot of anti-malware flags the Nirsoft utilities as they can potentially be used for nefarious purposes. Frustrating (also for Nir Sofer!), but one has to live with it I suppose.

10. feerf56

feerf56 Registered Member

This is misleading:

1. The anti-virus software should be to serve me primarily, and to protect others only secondarily .
    2. These software I use it strictly on my own, not against others.
    3. On this basis, the all file manager is malware, because it is much more damage can be done with it, like NirSoft utilities. And so on... The many useful softwares which can cause great harms if I want to. Example "format" command...
    The real malware is what causes harm to me without my knowing it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  11. Petrovic

Petrovic Registered Member

12. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

13. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

@erikloman
    @markloman

Please add an option to be able to force a cloud scan when scanning particular files via command line. HitmanPro is currently missing most viruses received via e-mail, although Kaspersky and Bitdefender recognize them properly, the same is confirmed by Virustotal. I am paying for multiple HitmanPro licenses and I don't feel like buying an additional command line scanner from Emsisoft in order to do proper Bitdefender engine scans. I am using Kaspersky Endpoint as main AV.
    So please add the force cloud scan option, at least for individual files.

UPDATE: I tested HitmanPro scanning on more of the latest virus attachments that Kaspersky and Bitdefender recognize without problems but HitmanPro does not recognize anything. What is actually going on there?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  14. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

@erikloman
    @markloman

As I have not received any response here regarding the missed viruses issue I have now contacted HitmanPro support via e-mail. The situation is very disappointing. Are Bitdefender and Kaspersky engines still used at all?

15. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

What type of files are you scanning? If you're scanning non-executable files, then it's not really a surprise that HMP doesn't detect them as the HMP engine is configured to deal with active infections on the system.
    There's a difference between an AV engine and signatures. HMP uses it's own engine developed inhouse and Kaspersky/Bitdefender signatures, not their scanning engine.

16. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Thanks, didn't know that. You are right, it looks like it checks only exe, no pdf, no doc, no archives... Hmmm, didn't know that... Pretty disappointing.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Why? As mentioned, HMP targets active malware. A downloaded file sitting on your drive not doing anything isn't a threat until it tries to install.

18. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Hmm, and how will HitmanPro catch that on execute?

19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

It won't, of course. That's what HMP.A and your AV is for.

20. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

How is it monitoring if malware is active or not? Does it check if file is located in critical areas or does it monitor if it's actively loaded? If malware is present in C:\Windows\System32 but is not running (you ended a process and deleted autorun entry) would it be flagged or not?

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Mr Minimalist,

I don't know the ins and outs, someone else will have to answer that for you, perhaps @erikloman or @markloman .

Here is what this web page says:

22. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thank you for answer @Krusty .
    I agree that malware that doesn't run is not dangerous, but I would also like to know if there are some malicious files on my system even if they are not active.

23. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Turns out that it is NOT a complete second opinion scanner as it DOES NOT scan for macro viruses / viruses in documents, or viruses in archives.
    You can unzip the virus exe and run it or a macro can download the actual virus exe and execute it - then it is simply too late. HMP cannot do any on-execute scan, so there is no way for HMP to catch anything. You can only hope that your main AV's engine will detect the malware. The second opinion effect is lost. All this behavioral deep scanning + multi-engine scanning they talk about is just useless from that point of view.
    Until now, I really thought that HMP would be more effective than only detecting after-the-fact infections.
    I hoped that I can make HMP scan incoming virus attachments (that are possibly missed by my main AV Kaspersky) through command line when opened from within Thunderbird. However, if HMP scans only exe files it is of no use for that, not a single infected attachment arrives as pure exe nowadays. Even for exe files it does not work for that purpose: If you launch HMP via command line with /clean /quiet as parameters it does not scan + clean the file and return after having completed that; instead it launches another parallel scan + clean process but will return immediately, this means that you don't get any feedback when cleaning is finished and if you launch the attachment further down in a batch file it may happen that you launch it before it has been cleaned by HMP...

24. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

I strongly disagree here, as HMP is not able to do a "scan on execute". So you purely rely on your main AV and you don't need HMP anymore.

25. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

It's a second opinion scanner..........and nothing more, it's not a second realtime scanner...but very effective at what it claims to do IME.

It has save many infected pc's including some of my non tech friends with pc's taken over with AV's knocked out, even a couple save remotely in safemode with network....the minute you reboot into normal mode after removal the AV it active again and can do the rest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.