Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Just got back from working on a friend's office computer.
    Lots of programs would not start, everything was VERY sluggish, lots of erratic behavior.
    He had NIS installed but it was inaccessible, would not open, kept trying unsuccessfully to do some sort of auto-fix thing.
    I installed HMP.
    It found a variant of TDL rootkit, a boot kit and ZeroAccess rootkit.
    HMP cleaned them all on a reboot.
    Next thing you know, NIS was able to download and install definitions and run a scan, which it was unable to do with the infections present.
    HitmanPro... worth its weight in gold. :thumb:

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

page42 you change my mind with your testimony i wasnt going to buy hitmanpro again next year but i will as it is a must program:thumb: :thumb:

3. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I noticed that HMP will not scan subfolders when scanning a parent folder via
    right click (Scan with HitmanPro). What is the reason for this restriction?

If I scan a parent folder with no files, but it contains say 10 subfolders with files,
    the HMP results are always 0 for total objects scanned, etc.

Al

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I wish you could have seen NIS struggling with this malware, and how easily HMP installed and cleaned it out. Really amazing.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree page :thumb: :thumb: i imagine:D

6. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Nice to hear. I have had a similar experience but with Avira instead of NIS. HitmanPro :thumb:

7. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Hitman recently cleaned up my sister's computer from one of these ransoms, supposedly from Cyber Crime Unit of greek police this one. Fortunately it didn't run in safe mode with networking and Hitman took care of it (MBAM failed on this-probably new variant that they didn't have signatures yet)

8. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Any idea in how the replacement of Ikarus for Bitdefender in Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7.0 will impact in Hitman Pro? I'm asking because Hitman already uses Bitdefender engine. Thanks

9. Adric

Adric Registered Member

@erikloman

Erik, what's the verdict on HitmanPro custom scanning folders and possibly selected drives?

There is no real way to do any custom scanning except from the context menu and that is not very effective since only one level of a folder is scanned. This makes it impractical to include HMP on a rescue disc, since you cannot specify which drives you want scanned. If there is a technical reason why this function is missing, I would be interested in knowing the reasons. Right now, I have to revert to MbaM and SAS to do any custom scanning

Al

10. erikloman

erikloman Developer

See this post.

In one of the next builds, scanning of folders WILL BE recursive and will require a paid license. In the GUI there will be a message stating you require a paid license to scan folders so that this is clear.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  11. markloman

markloman Developer

HitmanPro uses the Ikarus engine through Emsisoft. When Emsisoft would no longer be allowed to provide us this technology, HitmanPro will probably stop using the Ikarus engine. But I would like to emphasize that this will not happen for at least a year.
    On a side note, we are working on several new detection and identification technologies ourselves. One of them is designed to identify new malicious code within unknown files and memory objects within a second, without the need of a human researcher. This technology is currently in beta testing and we'll let everybody know when it's ready.

12. d0t

d0t Registered Member

Seems very promising. Can't wait for it :)

13. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Sorry, I missed that back then. Will you also be able to select a specific drive?

Al

14. erikloman

erikloman Developer

15. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Most likely. Will discuss it with the team.

16. dazed1

dazed1 Registered Member

What happened with Hitman Pro 3.6.1 from 1/2 mins max, scan times now (together with malware remnats) is so slow, like 6/7 mins o_O

17. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

18. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Just did a scan (3.6.1 Build 164) and it was 2 min. 32 seconds.

19. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Thanks! :thumb:

20. volvic

volvic Registered Member

Is Hitmanpro needed if you are running webroot secureanywhere essentials?
    HMP used to provide a comparison between other avs and what they did not detect which HMP did. what ever happened to that?

21. volvic

volvic Registered Member

you guys should reach a deal with ikarus. i dont recommend bd as av engine.

22. niki

niki Registered Member

I would like to know if Hitman Pro detects Registry Backup: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html as a trojan as it was shown as such by a poster. Could it be a false positive? Where and how can I find this out?

A while back, I downloaded RegBack, scanned it with Avast! free and MBAM free prior to installing and it showed as clear. So I installed it.

TIA

23. I know Bitdefender shows the All-In-One pack as a trojan. OR at least one part of it.

24. markloman

markloman Developer

I've checked it but none of the files are flagged as malicious or suspicious by HitmanPro.

On VirusTotal, the detection of the setup file tweaking.com_registry_backup_setup.exe is 2/42, both false positives (by Antiy-AVL and ByteHero):
    https://www.virustotal.com/file/bbf...ca8d4103ba2de6c14108c2ecfc9147a5c4c/analysis/

The detection of the main executable TweakingRegistryBackup.exe is 0/42:
    https://www.virustotal.com/file/d34...cde121c162ac5c0a292de6d6a072a5f827b/analysis/

You can safely use the program.

25. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

Just a quick question.Does anyone know of any issues between Hitmanpro and KIS2013.I love Hitmanpro as it picked up a nasty ZeroAccess infection on my wife's pc and fixed it.It works really well with WSA on my wife's pc and had been using it with WSA on my pc till i changed my main av to KIS2013.Basically i was just wondering about any possible interactions resulting in bluescreens etc.I know it is cloud based,but KIS has never played real nice with anything and i would love to continue to use Hitmanpro as it has already proved to be invaluable in my household.Any advice in regards to exceptions..etc would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,
    Dan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.