Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

There's some new Fake Av's going around called windows restore or repair and what it does is makes all files hidden as well as folder and removes shorcuts from the desktop as well as the start menu shortcuts. Was wondering if there was a way for hitman pro to detect the modified registry values of hidden files or folders and shortcuts for profiles to be changed back to default windows 7 settings.

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

A suggestion for Hitman Pro: I'd like it to be able to reset file association. After I cleaned up part of a FakeAV infection and rebooted all the file association was broken and nothing was able to run. I was able to get HitManPro to run and it was not able to notice the change, I think it would be a good idea to add clean up for that.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I've got a Hitman Pro question for business.

Do we have the ability to just have a few liceneses to be used on an as needed basis?

For example, we've run our av and it had not totally killed off (or found something) on a machine. Is there a portable version that we could run (on demand) to cleanup the infection and then use it again on another workstation?

Or do we have to buy a license for each computer (which would suck) but is probably what the case will be.

Thanks.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

5. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Thanks for the link. Have you tried to see if it fixes file attributes to default configuration?

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I havn't tried it, but it would be best to post about it in the thread i linked to ;)

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The file you download is actually standalone with the ability to install. After clicking next, just check No.

8. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Hitman Pro can be run from a USB drive on-demand. Or you can run it remotely via a shared network drive. You don’t need to install it on the PC.
    There is a traditional 1-year license per workstation, but Hitman Pro can also be used in “incident mode” (see here). In this case, Hitman Pro can be installed in free scan mode on all machines or can be installed only on computers that are probably infected by malware. When an infection is found, the license key can be entered and the Hitman Pro malware removal function is activated on that computer. Each activation expires a few days after the activation date, to allow sufficient time to remove the infection. After Hitman Pro has cleaned the malware from the computer, Hitman Pro can continue to run in free scan mode, or can be removed from the computer entirely.

Note: Incident licenses are a lot cheaper than the traditional license.

Note: If you are a PC repair shop that serves home users, just use the free license. If you serve businesses then the incident license is what you need.

Hope this helps.

9. erikloman

erikloman Developer

We've been looking into this since a few days. Might make it in the next release. I hope we can have beta before this weekend (again).

10. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thanks so much this has answered my questions exactly!

Cheers!

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

12. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Hitman Pro 3.5.9 Beta Build 122

Changelog
    • Added Cloud Assisted Miniport Hook bypass (more on this ground breaking feature in a following post)
    • Added MEBroot/Torpig/Sinowal detection and removal
    • Added Registration on Setup dialog
    • Improved corrupted/damaged file handling
    • Fixed a crash when Compatible Disk Mode was selected and the uploader failed to get access to the file
    • Fixed a displaying problem when a filename was too long causing overlap
    • Close button is now disabled during malware removal process
    • Product actication is now performed on a seperate thread
    32-bit: http://dl.surfright.nl/HitmanPro35beta.exe
    64-bit: http://dl.surfright.nl/HitmanPro35beta_x64.exe

We've changed quite a few things (including the support driver) so please report any problems. Thanks :thumb:

13. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Ran an EWS scan then, a Quick Scan. The Quick Scan took longer (two minutes). Ran another EWS scan and another Quick Scan. The Quick Scan completed in under forty seconds.

At the end of a scan, you can close Hitman Pro, even though it is still counting down from ten seconds.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Norton Internet Security 2012 Beta. Hitman Pro 3.5.9 Beta Build 122.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hitman pro is getting better it rocks;) :thumb:

15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Nice :)

On one computer, using EWS scan I get a yellow message saying:
    "IRP_MJ_SCSI kernel-mode hook in iaStorV.sys detected
    The device stack of the hard disk is referencing a hidden driver. This could affect the detection of malicious files."

Is there a way to check if this hook and driver are benign and needed for correctly functioning of the system?

16. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Hoi BkMW :)

First, run awsMBR. You will notice the same warning. It is caused by SPTD.sys that comes with some burning software and DEAMON Tools. SPTD.sys writes some dynamic code in kernel-memory that can not be related to a loaded driver (= rootkit behavior/EXTREMELY suspicious).

The new kernel-mode hook message in Hitman Pro is only shown in EWS (= for experts) because we think regular user have no clue what this means. Internally Hitman Pro works its way around the hooks by consulting the cloud. Non-infected computers send the miniport data to the cloud so that when a computer with a certain hard disk miniport driver is infected, the cloud knows how to address the hook for that specific driver. Hence, Hitman Pro knows its way around the hook, for any driver and not just the common ones.

We think this is a cool and unique feature.

17. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Is there a way to launch the beta such that it installs itself over the stable version I have installed? The beta runs from my download folder, but doesn't update the installed version.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

delete the regular version and install the beta and it works;)

19. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Same here, No problems. Scan times are just slightly faster with new beta. Just checked and right-click scanning of individual files not enabled (grayed out) and cannot enable.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

21. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I'm confused about something... how come Hitman Pro is still being developed and released through your own website when, as I've understood it, it's now owned by Zemana?

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

What? :eek: Since when? :blink: Source?

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think they unite forces:D

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No I think not.
    AFAIK Zeman just have a re-brand of HitmanPro nothing more nothing less. :doubt:

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.