Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow lots of malware collected during that week shadek! :eek:

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Actually, I was able to access my archive of malware with daily collection sorted after each day for the last month! So I just downloaded them (malware from April 3 - April 9) from a server I have access to and was able to duke it out, but Hitman fails me at the moment.

I'm hoping for a response from a Hitman official. They'll be able to tell me (and us) why Hitman cannot scan that huge set of malware without overloading and stop responding every now and then and eventually freeze. :) I think Hitman and Windows aren't the best friends when it comes to calculating the hashes of each file when scanning huge sets of executables. But that's just a suspicion.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I've always interpreted that option as only a notice that "this is something I'll do when you run me".

4. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I see what you mean. And by all means, it will help the cloud of Hitman to stay on par with the malware releases. :thumb: Hopefully, Hitman will never upload any personal executables to the cloud for me though. That's the risk of having to upload suspicious files; you never know what Hitman will do to personal files that you don't want anywhere outside your own harddrive.

5. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Hi Shadek,

You are performing some VERY interesting tests! Hitman Pro is made to remove malware from infected computers. It was not meant to process 15.000+ zero-day malware files. BUT, I think it should be able to process this.

The user interface is the culprit here. You need a version that doesn't use the GUI. I will talk to the team tomorrow to see if we can come up with a version that is able to process this amount of unknown malware files without the GUI.

To be clear, Hitman Pro has no problem with huge amount of files. Its just appear to have a problem when it needs to process a large amount of zero-day malware files.

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thank you very much for your answer, Erik (I just assume your real name is Erik based on your username, correct me if I'm impolite here :)). First off, I'm an avid fan of Hitman and therefore I felt like testing it to the fullest. First test I published here at Wilders yesterday or two days ago really impressed with a ridiculously high detection rate for 0-day malware. :thumb:

I'd be very interested in a tool that could help me test Hitman against 0-day malware (or try the command-line scanner). The things you say are logical, as Hitman indeed stopped responding when uploading thousands upon thousands of 'never-been-seen-before' malware. The description you make is right on spot!

Again, I'd be very interested in any new way for me to test Hitman Pro against huge sets of malware. :)

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good man:thumb:

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

what the differenence between paid and free?

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

After trail period if not purchased becomes a scanner only (no removal capability).

10. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

ah ok thanks.

so how many people here use the paid version? what the type of lisencing does it have? annual, lifetime?

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

but at least it will tell if you are infected and even the location of infection;) but i rather pay to support a good developer with a good program:thumb:

12. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

It is $19.95 (US currency amount) annual license. If you are using one of the products on their website if you renew it there then a free one year Hitman Pro license is included http://www.surfright.nl/en/shop/ I renewed my Emsisoft license there and got a free Hitman Pro one year license.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have the 3 PCs - 1yr license

http://www.surfright.nl/en/shop/

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i got prevx and got hitman pro free for 1 pc for 1 year;) :thumb:

15. shadek

shadek Registered Member

erikloman, any news regardning the GUI freeze when scanning huge sets of malware that has never been seen before in the cloud?

16. Aeolis

Aeolis Registered Member

Hello folks,

I am running Hitman Pro 3.5.8.119 (64-bit) under Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit) and I've figured out that the option to scan files and folders from context menu is no longer available.

I have tried uninstalling, cleaning the registry, cleaning the PC and reinstalling Hitman Pro, but the option is no longer there. In Hitman Pro's GUI I have this option grayed out. As you can see bellow:

Image 1.png

Does anybody has this issue and know how to fix it?

See you later,

Aeolis

17. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Don't know what you exactly cleaned in registry and/or pc. But try the below.

Step 1 - Make sure you write down your Hitman Pro license somewhere on paper, or make sure you have it saved on your pc in a .doc or .txt file. If you own one ofcourse.

Step 2 - Uninstall Hitman Pro 3.5.

Step 3 - Clean up possible remnant files and folders, by deleting the following:
    • open the Start Menu, view All Programs and delete the Hitman Pro 3.5 folder (if available);
    • go to C:\Program Files, delete the Hitman Pro 3.5 folder, if available;
    • go to C:\ProgramData, delete the the Hitman Pro folder (if available). Alternatively use %programdata% as shortcut to navigate to the folder by typing that into the Start Menu search field, so you won't to enable view hidden files and folders;
    • go to C:\Users\**Your Name**\AppData, look in both the Local and Roaming folders, in those two, delete the Hitman Pro folder (if available). Alternatively use the %appdata% shortcut;
    • go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers, delete hitmanpro35.sys if available.
    Step 4 - Clean up possible registry remnants, open regedit.exe. If you are scared of working in regedit first make a System Restore Point:
    • navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software, remove the Hitman Pro folder in the left pane (if available);
    • navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE, remove the Hitman Pro folder in the left pane (if available). If you are using a 64-bit system, also look for an Hitman Pro folder inside SOFTWARE -> SysWOW64.
    Step 5 - Reboot your pc.

Step 6 - Optionally - Download CCleaner if you don't have it already. Navigate to Options -> Advanced, then uncheck the checkmark in front of "only remove Windows Temp files older than 24 hours". Then run the cleaner and the Registry Cleaner, make a backup of the registry on prompt if you want to.

Step 7 - Download and install Hitman Pro.

18. Aeolis

Aeolis Registered Member

Hello folks,

@Matthijs5nl: Thank you very much. Everything is fine now.

I don't know how the problem came in nor how does it came out, but everything is fine now. Maybe it's a erratic error.

See you later,

Aeolis

19. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Just did a test with malware collected April 20 from a honeypot. All files collected from the Honeypot has been confirmed to be malicious by my supplier (which also provide the samples to the big vendors out there). Here's the result of Hitman's detection rate (it's really, really good [75,5%] as most of the files have never been seen in the cloud before):

Before scan:
    Hitman1.png

After scan:
    Hitman2.png

If anyone is interested in the scan log, I'd be happy to share it as it includes exactly what hashes of the samples have and what engines of Hitman that detected which malware... but I won't share it in public as it contains some personal information.

Let me also share that me and Erik (developer behind Hitman) are having a productive conversation on how to solve the 'overload' problem when scanning 10.000+ detected malicious files! :thumb:

20. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Attached Files:

21. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I appreciate you are both having fruitful discussions on this topic, but in the real world, how many people are actually going to come across that many samples to scan with HMP [or any other product]? Their cloud servers aren't going to exceed overheads in the general sense because most people aren't going to scan that many files. As far as I can see, it's the guys in the labs that test that many files [and more!], but they have the infrastructure to do so, and they also know if the files aren't corrupt or duplicated as well.

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Are you not allowed to name your supplier, just curious :shifty:

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

24. SweX

SweX Registered Member

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.