HIPS?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by maaster, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maaster

maaster Registered Member

Hi to all
    I have one question in my mind....How to use HIPS....in the advanced setup I found that it is automatically set to automatic mode with rules but when I click configure rules only one rule is there....Is one rule enough to block all malware?

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi maaster :)
    Just some thoughts. Hips can be a strong security feature as long you know how to interpret the different notifications your hips throws at you. If you are not sure how to deal with these pop ups, then I think you're better off, setting hips in automatic mode with rules. Personally I have tried the Hips function for a couple of months (version 5), and found, that it even after a long period of time, still ask you for many things, as it should do . But eventually I found it too cumbersome and tiring to have to take a position on everything. So I switch back to default and found it refreshing to let Eset do the work. Regarding your question, I think that Hips in automatic mode with rules has more than one rule set for hips, but those rules are not visible for us.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi maaster.

In the default "automatic mode" the HIPS does protect with hidden HIPS rules that has been set up by the developers, and they are being maintained and improved by the developers via modular updates. But they are not visible to the user, and cannot be changed by the user.

Also the HIPS is not there to "block all malware" it's there as another layer.

HTH :)

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi SweX
    Thanks for confirmation. I wasn't sure, just suspected it was configured that way.
    Cheers, Janus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.