HIPS question.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by IcePanther, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hello,

I installed ESS v5 Beta yesterday, and first I must say, pretty stable for a beta (at least for now) :D . It took some time to get used to the new "hierarchical" UI with the hierarchy on top rather than the 'imbricated menu' I was used to when enabling the "advanced' GUI, but why not. It's still the same number of clicks.
    I was also happy to see that ESET finally includes an HIPS, which is IMO a very good additional protection layer. (I was less happy to see a parental control feature, but hey, I could deactivate it completely and it doesn't even show up in the GUI, so, nice. :) )

I have a question though, regarding the HIPS, well, two in fact :
    • What are all the protected "checkpoints" ? (I saw create process, and set registry key, when I enabled interactive mode, but I guess that's not all) ?
    • Is it planned to include some default rules, so as to be able to put the HIPS in interactive mode without being assaulted by many pop-ups, or is the learning mode intended to be the sole way of filling the rule DB initially ? (It is obviously safer to go with a white-list approach than a black-list one)

I also had the known "HIPS disabled on install" bug, after a restart it was fine though.

Thanks in advance for any answer !

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can open the rule editor and create a new rule to see a complete list of operations that HIPS can protect again.
    HIPS is subject to evolution so it will be continually improved.

3. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

I would like to ask a further question re HIPS, is it a good idea to run it along with the Online Armor 5 HIPS at the same time?

Thank you.

P.S> I have asked this question in another thread with no answer as yet and thought it better to ask it here.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Haven't tried it personally but if you hadn't had any problems with self-defense and OA I'd say it should work fine in conjunction with HIPS fine.

5. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Thanks.
    I did look at the list of operations, seems fairly complete. Good job, especially for a first version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.