Hints on using Online Armor FW-a Learning Thread 4

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Escalader, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

OK. I can manage up to 10 PC for the task. Will report later if be lucky to find this "killer" :)

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I'm back.

This actually works I must admit for one. But ..

This works in very limited manner. Nobody noticed that this kind of attacks works only for the computers with the same gateway and so attacker can be immediately revealed and deactivated by the simple administrative means. This is how it works in our lan and this is how it should work everywhere.

But, I should agree, it would be "cool" if my FW could prevent it. I could then brag before my friends :)

Now seriously. Do you really connected to the lan where such cryminal activity is possible ?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Internet Cafe.
    Wireless Network.

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Do they provide completely anonimous access ? Even in case they do, they just _must_ to have appropriate hardware device at their router which doesn't allow such activity. It is their obligation and their commercial interest. Though, I have already complied that theoretically it is possible. I still insist that practically this brings no more risk than probability to get accidental break to hit one's head.

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The DOS is simply an "Spoofed ARP request", unless these are going through a managed/filtered gateway, it is easy to DOS anyone on LAN, and works effectivly (You could also look at DHCP poisoning, but you would need to create the packets)

I am on an ISP LAN,.. I was scanned with such tools, so there is a possibility of attack, but as my own gateway drops all inbound ARP, then no one on my ISP LAN can actually see my IP.
    But I do know many users who are on untrusted LANs, and are at risk from this, and many other forms of inbound attack.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Just going back to this.

You have run this tool, and cut off one of the PC`s on LAN (which you must of done to say it works), then how is your gateway filtering this, it isnt. You did say you are on a LAN of thousands, so who Admins the gateway?
    Also, as the packet sent is spoofed, there is no header info to actually trace this back to origin.

7. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I have at least the two different lans. Huge home lan and tiny and friendly office lan. I have tested it in my tiny, friendly, office lan which can be called fully trusted :)

8. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

BTW, do you think it is possible in general case to prevent ARP spoofing taking in account that attacker can spoof your gateway with your fake mac address and no personal firewall can resist it ?

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

For ARP it does not matter about the gateway. It is just a need for your PC to have a correct binding of your Gateway IP/MAC

10. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Yes, I agree, but this does not solve the ill effect. The only effective way to resist it is a LAN architecture. I'd say this is not a computer attack, this is LAN attack, and thus it is beyond the personal firewall scope. Though, personal firewall can filter poisoned requests in some extent. But .. as long as there is no reliable way to identify which packet is true and which is faked, all these ways are not a complete resolution in any case, they are just some "workarounds". And every one can be spoofed by changing spoofing algorythm. Don't you think "arp -s" is a better solution ?

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

You could place a static ARP entry into the cache. But it is simpler to have firewall rules to bind the gateway IP/MAC. Any spoofed attempt will be filtered out/blocked.
    Have a look at Jetico2

At the end of the day, a firewall should be filtering ALL packets.

12. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Do you mean FW should have an ability to bind IP-mac relations manually ?

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

For me personally yes. I believe it is needed, certainly as I see more and more on large ISP LAN`s. Yes, I know, most do state about having a router, but should a software firewall Vendor assume that a user does or should have a router?

From your own setup, on a very large LAN (with thousands), do you disable un-needed windows services? I ask, for as you should know, OA will currently "Trust" the LAN, so all comms will be allowed over your LAN. Maybe you have, but as OA is put forward as software easy for "mum" to use, would "mum" disable services when on such a LAN?

14. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

OK, our points with ARP are clear now. :)

As for the LAN, I create the rules for my netbios manually, or I can set global restrictions. It depends on my mood mainly in what particular way I protect my PC from the LAN. But the best way is to not share the critical resourses :)

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interesting. My first reaction to this was why on earth would "mum" ever be on a large LAN. But then it dawned on me last summer I was visiting some friends and using there internet. it is indeed like a big LAN.

This speaks to the requirement you've put forth. We should be able to say yes the LAN is trusted let me at it, which would make many typical home networks easy to deal with, but have the option, particularily for mobile situations to now say whoa, I am now on a LAN I don't trust. Adapt acordingly. And that should be mum simple.

Pete

16. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Stem: Well said, FWIW, I agree 101%. Vendors ( and not just OA) should never assume the user has a router, this would be particularly valid for a "mum" oriented product.

Well in my own case yes, but I learned that here from you and other security guys! Is "mum" is a member here? So with all due respect to all the "mums", I seriously doubt that more that 1% of users even know what a windows service is let alone how to disable the unneeded ones.

It is a no brainer that FW vendors should provide the trust/ no trust option a list of the competitive FW's to OA 2 that do provide this security basic staple would be conclusive.

I think Mike Nash has already committed to provide this?

http://support.tallemu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1432&highlight=

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Whatever restictions (rules) you put in place for such as netbios, these will currently be bypassed on LAN, due to the fact that the LAN is fully trusted. Even global restrictions are currently bypassed for LAN.

I think MikeNash now understands the possible problems of this, so I believe this will be changed.

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Pete,
    There are quite a lot of users on Private IP LAN`s, that are possibly not fully trusted. So caution is needed.

To a certain point, I can understand the LAN being made trusted. But, is this really needed?, with default OA setup, trusted applications, such as SVChost will be allowed needed LAN comms anyway (auto allow trusted, auto config rules for trusted), so even if the LAN was "not trusted", the LAN comms would be allowed and restricted (with the restricted ports list).

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Escalader,

Yes, and that was 4 months ago, with how many OA builds within that time period? It is time to put this forward again.

I know there may of been other priorities, such as leak prevention. Certainly users of OA, on an untrusted private LAN will more than likely need leak prevention.

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Good question, and I confess to being clueless. I come from a very simplistic point of view. I just installed Stardock's Multiplicity and it works. My lan is trusted, but if set up the way your suggesting I'd be all for it. Question is if it wasn't would I have had to tinker with settings, and would I have been able to figure it out. Don't know. This is the challenge out there. The me's.

Pete

21. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If the LAN was classed as internet (not trusted), then setting such a program as trusted should then allow it all the comms it needs (with default OA setup)

22. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Exactly. The issue is the system ports for things like file/network sharing.

23. Escalader

Mike/Stem:

Are we saying:

.....when the lan is classed as untrusted (internet) and this same user wants to share files, printer's etc over that network he must either trust the applications doing the "sharing" or the particular ip's/ users he wants to share with?

Poor wording I know, in my case I have 2 PC's on the world's smallest lan, thing is the other PC is a gaming pc and I don't want to share anything with it other than the isp service.

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

You should look at the "Restricted ports" as a single rule. If the LAN is trusted, then these ports are allowed over private IP LAN (only to following endpoints~ 192.* / 10.* etc). If the LAN is not trusted, then these ports are blocked (to any endpoints except following 0 - 255.255.255.255 [0.0.0.0/0])

25. Escalader

Stem:

Is there any practical way I can put in FW rule(s) to do this in OA 2 as it currently stands? I don't want to trust the gaming PC sharing the router.

What would OA 2 rule look like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.