Hints on using Online Armor FW-a Learning Thread 4

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Escalader, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi 19monty64:

:doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :'( :'(

Wish I had thought to ask that!:D Oh are you asking me? :D :D :D

Well right now what I will do is go over all the posts then sleep on this question. I will try to answer it but there is some work and study I need to do. My answer ( not THE answer) will come but only when I've got one to give you. Should I be suffering :oops: ? Maybe I don't know.

If anybody who has/had OA 2 paid or trial (not just the free) has suggestions let us know anyway you like, PM, open post or email.

Please remember this is not a vendor bashing opportunity, as per OP #1.

I have several questions posted here that remain unanswered.

Here are 2 more, on IE extensions. My jpg is the same as the OA 2 help file except my sun java is ? not allowed.

Is this IE add on trustworthy or not?
    In my case with the ? is this the same as denied? Will it launch, or be removed? I'm :doubt:

Mike, it might be better to have a separate help file for standard and advanced/power users?

For ease of reference, here is the copy paste from help

Attached Files:

2. Escalader

Re: 2 OA Restricted Ports List Questions

Attached are 2 jpg's. One is a rule for Netbios, the other is my current OA 2 Restricted Port list.

There are 3 entries in the table and 1 rule. Shows all the same ports denied and the same protocols. This seems fine so far.

The direction of the deny shows in the 1 rule BUT not in the OA 2 list.

1. Is the direction denied in OA 2 FW the same eg BOTH?
    2. To Stem et al, is it okay security wise to allow "local programs" access to these ports?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

3. Lundholm

Lundholm Registered Member

Hi Escalader,

You're now the happy owner of 3 threads, even though you don't want all of them.;)

You're getting close to my favorite subject, now - the blocking of windows system processes.

You found netbios in the restricted ports tab, I suppose. Is there any way to find the other system processes and block these?
    I'm sure that all MS stuff is included in the white list, so you will never hear anything about those, unless you disable something. Any plans here?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  4. Escalader

Hi Lundholm:

No nothing new. Just plodding ahead.

Mike Nash asked me via PM to post 1 by 1 questions at OA 's forum as he cannot spend time on the learning thread. If he posts there all OA users can benefit from his posts. I have no problem with that myself. As long as answers are received that is all I care about, not where.

I posted the netbios question there and will check later to see what is said.

More later

5. Lundholm

So we will visit the OA help forum in order to study the technical details, and this thread will describe the overall learning progress, right?

6. Escalader

That sounds okay to me. I will post my own learnings/observations (when I have any) here so members can get results as I see them.

I use the same id there as here and anybody can see the question and the responses I get over there at will.

This will be a bit of a bounce between the forums exercise, let's see how it goes.

You don't have a spare test PC at your end by any chance? I ask because if you had the 30 day OA trial you could help me by moving to the next tab and then I would try the one after that. Just a thought.

7. Lundholm

Using a tabbed browser, this should be possible. :)

If I had a test PC, my participation here would be more constructive (and aggressive, believe it or not). Or maybe I would be testing something else? A more complete product? Comodo?

I still think that this is a courageous project! ;)

Cheers

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Now you aren't making any sense at all. You don't want to try it until you see the help file, and you don't want to try it because you don't have a test PC.

There will be absolutely nothing in the help file that will tell you how it will run. Also if your box is that critical, surely you have some kind of back up plan which you could use to remove a test program.

If you current firewall works for you, great. If you think Comodo is more complete and want to test it, feel free. But what is the point in all you posts.

Online Armor is indeed a work in progress with some good stuff to come. The help file will probably never be done ahead of features, so if you must see the help file first, it just may not be for you. Fine.

Pete

9. Lundholm

Hi Peter,
    You seem to know an awful lot about OA development. Exactly what is your position in this context? Moderator or what?

Cheers

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The blocklists within OA have never really given any problem (certainly not from my testing on the earliers builds of OA).
    It is an addition I have always liked, certainly from the fact that the blocklists can be made only against a certain (1 single or more )application, or all OS

PG2 is now more stable and less conflicting with firewalls. This is why I mentioned this application to you, so you could place your block lists regardless of firewall in use.

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Post 19 is quite involved, as this does go through some of the advanced firewall features. I did go through some of these settings in an ealier thread But we can look at all this again later in thread.

I have not taken time to look at this. I do know various secerity software that put in place protection on this, do this in various ways. Some just check to see if this (Hosts)file is accessed, some check content, then check the IP against the actual host to see if this is correct (as long as its localhost or correct IP then no alert) I will look at this when I install.

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

ICMP within OA is a problem for me, as there is no direction.
    A question was made, but no reply yet on this that I can find.

As example, I would allow an outbound ping. But allowing this within OA also allows the inbound ping. A bit of a problem for me.(and possibly for others).

Those (like you) behind a router, only need concern for ICMP on LAN, on an home or fully trusted LAN, ICMP should be allowed for internal error message.
    If for example, you have 2 or more PC`s both active on the internet, your PC is best advised if ports are in use on the router, it can save slowdowns.

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Access of application to the internet (via White list) can be disabled (allways have been~ although I did get an e-mail stating that OA apps could bypass this. I need to re-check, I know this did not happen in the earlier builds I installed/checked)

In the firewall options, you see see an option to "automatically allow trusted applications", disable this. You should then get a popup for any application not already allowed (apart from the possible mentioned above~... not a good move OA!!)

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Lets stay with topic.

I have been away/short of time due to work. I can now help (at least for a while). So on this thread, please either ask questions regarding thread title, or help with answers.

cheers,
    Stem

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Stem,

My OA is already allowed - but you can block it in the GUI if you want to. I'll check again tomorrow as I install and post back as I have OAFree installed at the moment, so can't test it by doing check for updates.

Mike

16. Lundholm

Hi Stem, welcome back. I completely agree with this. My first reply was for Escalader, my second reply was for Peter, and my third reply is for you. ;)

17. Escalader

Hi Stem:

For now I have the blocklists set against all applications. What would your example(s) of using them against a specific application? What would a rationale be for that?

Yes, PG 2 is an execellent application. On their forum there has been some concern about the list builder Bluetak (sp?) finances as they appealed for $.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  18. Escalader

Okay, I have my setting done for those screens, thanks.

The way I have it working in OA's is the host tab shows Spybot S & D large (and maintained for me) list of bad sites loaded into the real host file showing as accepted in OA 2. This is confusing until I learned that OA 2's tab is not the real host entries but the rules about them.

These entries are "allowed" to exist in the host file. I suggested to Mike Nash that the tab should be rennamed Host Rules.

19. Escalader

I don't know the answer either. In their ICMP list/table there are several entries, echo request, echo reply, timestamp, masks etc, etc.

Not knowing how to maximize security with this table I didn't accept the default settings and denied them all. Waiting for consequences and none are obvious at user screen level. Bellow the surface I have no clue.

What would your ICMP settings look like?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  20. Escalader

For the record, I already have the auto allow trusted disabled!

I also have auto configure trusted disabled, but I don't know if this makes sense since I don't want to "shoot my settings in the foot" or lose a paid for OA 2 benefit that is good for me:D

Comments as alway welcome:cool:

21. Peter2150

Why not a good move of OA. I do realize that from a theoretical leak test point of view you shouldn't trust anything to access the internet, but I don't think that is reality. I remember back with zone alarm it asked application by application and I had to click each thing, and mark it trusted. Pain in the neck.

I like that fact OA gives me the option. I don't have to check that box, but I chose to do so. I personally also choose to go thru everything on my system and make it trusted. Ultimately if I clicked my way thru the result would be the same, but the OA option makes it easier.

Pete

22. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Stem is concerned about hard-coded rules. If he disables the whitelist, he should get a prompt about every application trying to access the net. Someone told him that OA's own applications/processes might be granted access rights even with the whitelist disabled.

23. Peter2150

In theory yes. But who wants a pop up for every app that wants access every time. But in reality, unless you are careless about where you click it's not all that unsafe.

I let OA autoconnect everything trusted, and I set everything on my system to trusted and have been doing this for almost two years. No problems. But I am not paranoid.

I guess in the context of this thread. Yes you can learn how to twist and configure OA, your computer and yourself into a pretzel, and if suites you cool. But if all you really want is a firewall to protect you as an average user who uses his head, all you really need to do is a standard install, leave it in standard mode, and enjoy life.

Pete

24. Escalader

25. Escalader

Two OA 2 FW Rule Proceesing Questions

1. In the design of the OA 2 FW paid version, are the rules processed from the 1st rule to the last as in a computer program?
    2. If the detail rule list has no rule allowing a specific application to connect via one protocol or another, is that connection implicitly allowed or blocked?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.