Hints on using Online Armor FW-a Learning Thread 4

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Escalader, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subset

subset Registered Member

For global lists which are updated less often I use OA.
    Like Trojan / Portscanner List, Ad Trackers, DShield List and Spyware List.
    Therefore I don't need PG 2 running all the time.

For the Level1 List, which is updated daily, as you said, I use PG 2.
    By doing this, I only have to start PG 2 if I use a p2p app.

This is a quite practical solution IMO.

Cheers

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi subset!

Yes, your approach is another one. :thumb:

I suspect sometimes we are like economists each with a different yet valid view.

My policy is as in my signature, so I let PG 2 block it's lists and do the auto updates for me (I'm lazy) and I prefer to keep these bluetack lists all in one application.

OA does country blocking which is nigh impossible to administer yourself ( I know because I tried). So being lazy, I let OA 2 do the country blocking. But these are preferences for each user. So to the readers I would suggest set your own security policies on rules and blocking then fine tune your applications to come as close to your policy as possible.

3. Escalader

How to Use Run Safer

Hello:

Just thought I'd show how to set programs to be "Run Safer"

The exe's to set all have direct contact with the www or as some describe them "face the internet".

OA has provided this since in practical terms most users run as the "administrator" even though for xp sp2 we "know" we should run as a limited user. What follows is lifted direct from the OA Help site.

You don't have to be in advanced mode to do this.

http://online-armor.com/webhelp/RunSafer.htm

I recommend you click on the show me link as it is educational on navigation in the program options.

Don't mess with the other settings unless you check it out first and really know what you are doing

FWIW, I have FF, IE7 word, excel and a couple of geneology programs set this way.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Re: How to Use Run Safer

Hi Escalader, I put my FF in RunSafer. My only complaint is my own memory. After a while I forget the browser is in RunSafer, and at some point attempt to do a download and a dialog box pops up telling me I am not the administrator. Now I have to stop and uncheck RunSafer until I'm done with my download, then recheck it. Do I have to learn to remember or is there a shortcut? :p

5. Escalader

Hey twl845:

Security can bring inconvenience as a price. This is why IMO many users run as adminstrators.

But regarding your question, not having done it I can't say for sure! :doubt:

What type of file were you trying to download?

Let's wait for Mike Nash or Stem to advise.

This is the LT way, no guessing.

6. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

Not really a shortcut, but if you go to OA's Programs list and right click on a app that's set to Run Safer (Cyan Hi-Lited) you will see a context menu with the options "Run" and "Run Normal". If you choose "Run Normal" then that program will start in normal (current user's account) mode.

Also noticed that when I right-click the Fx shortcut (or other apps set to Run Safer) on the desktop the context menu has the "Run as" option -- have not tried exploring that option yet.

I'm unable to use the PDF995 printer to print to pdf with Fx if its set to Run Safer.

Was a post at the OA Support Forums by a user who said he was unable to download/install extensions or themes from the Mozilla Firefox Add-Ons site with Fx set as Run Safer.

Topic at the OA Support Forums that may be of interest Run Safer with IE7 and MS Updates. As Peter2150 noted, I also always close and shutdown OA and all other resident security apps prior to doing MS or apps updates, or apps installations.

7. Escalader

Hi Guys:

FWIW, I just downloaded a pdf file with FF in "run safer" I made no special adjustments and saw no pop up.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hmmm.... Actually what I talked about only happened on one occasion and I just assumed it would always happen. I think I WAS downloading an extension to FF. I'll leave FF in "runSafer" and make notes in the future if I have a re occurrance. Thanks. :)

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have my browsers set with run safer, and I don't have a download problem. Any way all you need to is open the gui to the program tab, select your browser, and rightclick it. There is an option there for a one time run without it.

Pete

10. Escalader

Yes, I see now. You were "updating" adding logic to the FF exe. That should IMO require an administrator setting and OA was right to challenge that while in run safer mode.

99% of the time you won't be doing that in FF.

You are good to go in FF with run safer:cool:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  11. Escalader

Re: Updating to FF 13 in OA 2 version 119

Hi twl845:

Hmmmm as well on FF. I got the following security updates now for my version:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#firefox2.0.0.13

To get the 13 version of FF to install, I ended up closing OA version 119 completly then installed the FF updates. Oh, another thing, while doing that I reeabled the Win xp FW since OA automatically disables it for the user.

I have been running FF "safer" so it won't install upgrades in that state. Or if it will, I hope someone OA will tell us how.

I will now enable OA 119 again and carry on.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have FF on OA RunSafer and was able to install the new FF update just by clicking the update pop up. Maybe your FF "Safer" just needs to be disabled while you do updates.

13. Escalader

Maybe you are right. That exactly how I tried to do it. But I just kept getting the message you have a n update. Had to disable OA 100% to do it. Mike Nash is there a step I'm missing here? No doubt since I keep asking these infernal questions!

I have posted my FF advanced settings so Stem etc can critique them again. Last time was way back on older version 31/95 ? can't recall now. But then the settings were done differently.

See ya

Attached Files:

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I started using Online Armor Free Firewall yesterday.
    What is "Start filesystem scan" ? Is that a malware scanner based on a blacklist or what ?

15. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Online Armor AV+ does includes an antivirus engine (the Kaspersky AV engine). If you don’t purchase the AV+ edition then Online Armor will use its own, much smaller database.

Gerard

16. Escalader

Hi ErikAlbert:

Here is a quote from On line help for you that may help you:

"You can perform a file scan with Online Armor - if you are running Online Armor AV+ this will use the Kaspersky Antivirus engine.

If you are using the standard Online Armor, Online Armor's database will be used."

My understanding is that OA itself uses a White List not a black list.

With the KAV version I don't use it but I assume it uses a black list and other heuristic methods to detect "bad" files to delete.

17. ErikAlbert

I'm glad to hear that OA itself uses a White List, otherwise I would have ditched it already.

This Filesystem scan took 10 minuts to tell me :
    15763 files processed.
    0 files untrusted.
    0 files infected by virus.
    10m isn't faster than my boot-to-restore of 2m. So I won't use it.
    KAV and many other scanners tell me the same thing.
    In fact, I better restore a clean image with ShadowProtect, which is still faster, than running this Filesystem scan and then I'm guaranteed clean. :)

18. Escalader

Yes, it is slow IMO as well! I don't run it often as I use NOD 32 to scan in real time. It never finds anything either, but I don't assume that there is nothing there as these scanners are never 100%, nothing is!

I'm interested in the clean image idea myself, do you restore the whole system or just the OS?

19. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I was wanting to try out the latest version of online armor. I downloaded the trial version from the website and entered the the trial key and then it shows me this screen and tells me to click 'next'. Maybe i'm blind but where is the 'next' button?

Attached Files:

• oa.JPG
      oa.JPG
      File size:
      53.8 KB
      Views:
  20. Eh_Greg

Eh_Greg Registered Member

I think you need to pm. Mike Nash for a different key.

21. Escalader

Hi farmerlee:

There is no need for a new key since you are at the SCW point!

This is/was a bug in the SW. The next button is actually active and if you guess where it is right, it works! Go figure!

Just a reminder though that this thread is not for support OA questions. That is best done over at the OA forum.

Do you have latest version 119?

Here is the link for 119

http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=814

If this doesn't help post your bug over there and they will respond.

22. ErikAlbert

Yes, the whole system partition, which means WinXPproSP2 + Applications.
    There is no personal data in my system partition, because I separated my data from system. My data is stored on my second harddisk.
    When I surf, my data partition is locked completely by DefenseWall HIPS, so that nothing on the internet, can read, write or steal in my data partition (Sandboxie can do the same).
    I'm doing this already more than six months and it seems to work, because I tried all big scanners and can't find anything. Each time I see a scanner at Wilders, which I didn't try yet, I run the scanner one time to see if it detects something and then I uninstall the scanner.
    It's mainly the time I save : no scanners, no registry/history/junk cleaning and any problem is automatically fixed and that happens during each reboot (2 minuts).
    Very practical, fast, safe and above all time-saving.
    In other words, I have a computer, that cleans and cure itself automatically like in the SF-movies. :D

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Imaging and other solutions are not appropriate for this thread, folks.

Pete

24. Escalader

Hi ErikAlbert:

TY. The question causing the OT on imaging was my fault! Sorry Pete.:oops:

Back to work now on OA hints!

25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have just seen the same problem attempting to install 119. It is a bit of a farce.

I did download the latest beta that did give me the "Next button" but that button is where the "register" button is (on the image posted by farmerlee)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.