HijackThis Auto Analysis

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by zarzenz, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me -Marja

Me -Marja Guest

Thanks, Derek, that's what I thought, but things keep getting more complicated everyday, don't they?

Glad you are all here helping!!

Marja:cool:

2. pissedoff

pissedoff Guest

Removed for Admin review.

Blackspear.

Reviewed - Given the false accusations and trolling comments to insult, and take this thread off-topic; the contents of this post will not be returning - snap

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2005
  3. Merijn

Merijn Spyware Expert

Hey all, spy1 alerted me to this thread and I've read through its key posts.

First off, HijackThis is NOT an antivirus program. Therefore, it cannot prevent, detect or fix malware that modifies system files. This constitutes a PE virus which is beyond my (and Visual Basic's) capabilities. The only thing that would detect a change like this would be an antivirus program.

Secondly, I'm trying to keep HJT as general as possible so it stays small and fast. I'm not going to build a database of specific things to check and identify it as 'Malware #1253' like Spybot S&D does. HijackThis didn't start out as that and never will become that. There are far better programs to use a database-based targeting method.

Finally, if you come across a method that is frequently used by malware that isn't covered by HijackThis (or StartupList for that matter), let me know about it. I do want to stay on top of these things but stuff like this doesn't always reach me. The few examples Derek and Pieter mentioned are mostly PE viruses, but some are completely new to me and seem interesting enough to review further.

Merijn

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Thanx Merijn for your clarification.

keep up the good work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.