HijackThis Auto Analysis

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by zarzenz, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Jimbob

Try actually reading the entire thread before making unwise comments

I will repeat my earlier comments that seem to have been overlooked

NONE of the automatic analysers are reliable. ANything that can be fixed simply by following their advice would have been fixed if the "victim" had run Adawre or Spybot or M$Antispyware or their other choice of anti spyware application in the first place

Just about all the other malwares out there need special treatment and just removing the registry entries with HJT & deleting the files that are showing will not cure them

6 or 9 months ago, yes I would have said check out the automatic analyser as a backup before posting a log on a forum that deals with hjt logs but not today & definitely not in the future

Already HJT has almost reached it's limit in being useful for fixing or spotting malwares as 75% of the newer ones DO NOT show in a HJT log at all ( if you are lucky, you will see one entry that will suggest what the problem is )

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

It was more for fun.

Well my point is something more specififc. HJT shows a process called netcheck.exe , is that good or bad? HJT doesnt tell you any more. This is the same whether you are human or machine.

Inf[/QUOTE]

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

ok, when I got a process

:\program files\internet explorer\connection wizard\netcheck.exe

I'll probably ask the guy to upload / scan it by some online antivirus scanner and that question would not be asked by such an automatic hjt responder if you know what I mean.
    And that is what I was trying to say, you get more interaction and advice with a true log reader then with some automatic machine.

that is all

enjoy your eve.

Inf.

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

That entry is NORMALLY OK as it was standard on IE4 & I think IE 5.0 but hasn't been in IE for sometime and only normally shows when there has been an update or OTT install from earlier versions of windows & IE

If it's a 98 or ME system it is more likely to be genuine if it's W2K or XP it's guaranteed to be bad
    BUT several trojans/worms do use that file name and I have known that location get used by a trojan recently so the only way to tell is to have that file analysed by a good antiivirus scanner

5. Infinity

yes correct DVK01,

I could slightely, just a little tiny bit, see the hand of a master ;)

it would be very easy for us if netcheck.exe was in the plain Windows Folder and the machine would be XP ;)

but that would be waaay to easy ...

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Nothing about Windoze is easy and suspect files with common names are even less easy

But the example you have given is one of the very few that I can NEVER determine from seeing a log with any degree of certainty

I always ask for that one to be checked at an online antivirus scaner ( Kapersky, Jotti or VirusTotal)or sent to me for analysis

7. Concerned

Concerned Guest

hello, i would like to ask a few questions regarding HJT and Wilders.

Some time ago i heard the news that Wilders security forums was to stop the processing of HJT logs, now a bit later through a contact at another high profile web security site I hear that Paul Wilders is trying to start a Pay for analysis HJT web site.

I hear this as supposedly Paul has contacted other fourm owners proposing the idea of Pay for help with HJT.

My quesitions are,

How much truth is there in these rumors?

How does this affect the integrity of Wilders forum? (its worth noting the auto scan HJT site has been slammed here repeatedly)

I am by no means accusing anyone or anything, the story was told by a credible source, so i am just asking for an honst answer.

Thank you.

8. Lurkerella

Lurkerella Guest

Like Derek said, HJT has almost reached it's limit of usefulnes, because the drek coming out now is not caught by HJT.

Have a good day!

9. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

WTF, if there were any truth in this rumour, which at the moment is just a rumour, would it not be breaking certain ethics.

Jimbob

10. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

So... in which case... maybe all this talk about auto analysis versus expert analysis is now academic. If HJT has now lost its ability to detect some of the latest malwares, and if it's no longer able to be updated for whatever reason, either no time for the author to do this, or possibly the program is not technically able due to the complexity of the new types of malwares now going undetected, then is it time to stop using it altogether.

Surely a program that is not detecting new malwares is going to give a false sense of security, even though it still finds the more common entries, if other new nasties are not being detected... this can't be considered a good situation... auto or not.

11. Lurkerella

Lurkerella Guest

As was said before, HJT is a tool, it is not the whole answer to any problem. :)

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Concerned,

Would you mind providing a link regarding this information (assuming it was not a private communication)?

As for some background context, please see here, especially post #5 and here.

Blue

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

No it was ME, and I thought it was most likely legimate, but i asked for a scan too.

Nice to see , I gave the same advise to the friend, as a recognised master.

14. Infinity

I allways am alert when someone claims to be a recognised master especially when they are anonymous... :D

so tell us: how can we recognise you? will you have a rose in your mouth?

:D

have a wonderful evening

Inf.

15. compkungfu

compkungfu Guest

If this is true then what tools do we have to defeat the latest malware threats? I thought Hijackthis was the tool recommended when all others failed? So if even Hijackthis is now beatable by about 75% of the newer malware, as you say, then what chance do we have against the latest malware? Can you recommend some alternate ways/tools to defeat the newer forms of malware undetected by HJT?

16. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Is he the master of computers? Does that guest have a diploma/degree in computer sciences?

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

What Ronin actually said

Giving the same advise is not the same as claiming to be a master.

Someone clearly hasn't mastered reading. :)

18. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

There is no one tool

you need a different tool depending on what infection you are dealing with and in many cases each individual case needs a specially crafted tool to look in certain locations or for certain types or sizes of files

19. Infinity

no prb Ronin :)

have fun

Inf.

20. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

For those people who want to see an example of what dvk01 is talking about, here's a thread that shows what else becomes involved now in fixing some things:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=65627

21. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Derek - That's a pretty disturbing statement. Could you give us some examples? Pete

22. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Pete,

Examples enough unfortunately. :'(

What are the two most common pests that stay behind after a few good scans have been done?
    CWS and VX2

- Some versions of CWS don't show up in a HijackThis log at all, some only show the sites the victim is hijacked to.
    For example Holax that changes legit startup files to call the trojan when started:
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=41046

- One of VX2's latest version mostly only shows up in a log as one line in the Hosts file that was changed.

- The Qoologic trojan is another good example:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_QOOLOGIC.B&VSect=T

And I can come up with a few more without breaking a sweat. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

23. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

24. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

So, if you use Process Guard to protect explorer.exe, you wouldn't know it??

Worried,
    Marja:cool:

25. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

If you use PG then it shouldn't be able to change explorer.exe or any other file on your computer without your knowledge or permission

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.