High Mem Usage for Game...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by GuardianofNight, Jul 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuardianofNight

GuardianofNight Registered Member

Hi everyone... I have recently noticed playing a online game that I've played since March 2003 called The Sims Online seems to lag alot. Its like I start playing the game and after 5 minutes or so, it begins to freeze like heck and I open Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and it shows the memory usage at 100,000 and some!! I know this isn't normal for this game because I've seen it before. There hasn't been any updates in awhile and I'm concerned at how I go about on trying to investigate the problem. Do I need to contact my ISP or the company that made the game? I only have running what I've always had running... the game, Yahoo! Messenger, NOD32, and Windows Firewall.

Thanks and any help would be appreciated!!

Robert

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi Robert, it's difficult to say...100,000 is waaaay too much for playing any online game.

What are your system specs? sometimes adding another 256/512 mb of ram can improve online gaming...

I don't know what exactly could cause this...indeed maybe isp or dial up or whatever.

3. GuardianofNight

GuardianofNight Registered Member

Hey Infinity, thanks for replying back :). Yes, I would think it would be.... I am so far not experiencing anything but could it be a hack attack or? I don't think it would be... my router has WEP enabled (Linksys router) and all the computers have Windows Firewall on.

4. Infinity

nahh, high memory usage of games/apps has not much to do with hack attacks...@ least if your download source was not comprimised.

at least get your downloads from original source and not from p2p ;)

Since when are you experiencing this?

5. TheGuidingLight

TheGuidingLight Registered Member

Hey again Infinity :), oh noo lol. I never download software or music because I know in my country it is illegal. I bought this game from a store when it first came out.. and I've been experiencing the issue for probably about a week now.

6. Infinity

sounds like some bug or memory leak ...

if that game is sucking up those amounts of mem. then maybe it is a memory leak in conjunction with some software program...

like I said, 1000 of possibilities :p

7. stryder83

stryder83 Registered Member

Just an idea.....

The next time this happens, open the task manager again and look at performance. Does the CPU usage spike? Does mem usage level off for the 5 mins it's frozen / lagged?

In any case, use the event log to capture these moments of lag and look for an inconsistancy. If a specific process is taking up most of the memory, your game may be in "limbo" until there is space in memory.

Another idea would be to decrease the priority of the memory-sucking process. Unless it is a system process like RPC, you can lower the priority so that your game will get the memory before that specific process will.

Regards,
    Brandon

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Have you installed the latest updates for the game? :)

9. hadi

hadi Guest

and the latest updates for the graphic card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.