High End CPU's - Intel vs AMD

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Ocky, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Not even. It is one of, but certainly not the most intensive. CAD/CAE and graphics design is much more demanding and as such, requires much more graphics horsepower as seen by "workstation" graphics cards like this $4000 PNY VCQ6000-PB.

Nah! Another blanket statement and therefore simply not true. But it is obviously not worth belaboring the point with you.

I agree, like more RAM and a quality PSU - and a good graphics card, if you are doing graphics intensive tasks. And as I said earlier, the CPU is but one component and factor in the price (and performance) of a computer. Start factoring in the RAM, PSU, case, motherboard, speakers, monitor, drives (HD, SSD, optical), even mouse and keyboard, then suddenly the price of an individual component becomes less important. I am not going to select AMD as my platform base simply because the AMD CPU is a little cheaper than an Intel CPU with similar performance. $20 or $30 over the course of the expected 5 year life span of the computer is hardly worth it. In fact, since (with notable exceptions, of course) Intel CPUs are more efficient and generate less heat, with careful homework, it would be easy to build an Intel based platform that is more efficient than a similarly performing AMD platform. And with less heat being pumped into the room, demands on air conditioning will be less, saving a few pennies there too - and that would help compensate for that extra $30 initial investment. You may scoff at the AC reference, but if you have several computers in the same room pumping out extra BTUs, it does affect air conditioning requirements.

So we have gone round and round in circles on this. Bottom line - if you want to compare AMD to Intel to Nvidia to XYZ, pick specific models numbers to compare and not the entire line of products - and don't make blanket statements. They all have exceptions (except maybe that one).

And by the way, Ford F150 is better than Chevy 1500 and RAM 1500 any day. ;)

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If you want to bring CAD/CAM into this, then yes those are the most intensive. But those applications are for a different audience altogether, they are not to be counted as "consumer".

Even so, workstation graphics cards are not optimized to handle gaming workloads, and gaming graphics cards are not optimized to handle those workloads.

They're different. Workstation cards often run gaming workloads poorly, and not because they don't have horsepower (due to driver optimizations, some architectural differences, etc.)

Gaming remains intensive, and it is the most intensive consumer oriented application of graphics technology.

It's obvious around the web and in discussions just about everywhere - if you are looking for a good CPU, go for Intel. You want integrated graphics? AMD is the way to go (right now) unless you are a serious encoder.

I've presented the facts and you can verify them just about everywhere. I've never called Intel as outright bad but Intel is and always has been focused on processing, and they're very good at it. Intel's graphics will eventually get better as they dedicate more resourced towards this end, but right now it's not the leader out there.

I do know that quite a few developers agree with me, as well as most technology sites and forums.
    EDIT: After reading these two lines, I think we have really miscommunicated with each other. You are right in that it is very important to compare specific models, and you are also right in that there are exceptions.

My comments were all meant to say in general, so perhaps I really have made an error there. My apologies :(

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I take it your about 70 then :shifty:

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Where you been? xxJackxx and I concluded long ago he had to have been born in 2006! Assuming Earth is correct. ;)

I am certain I have been quite clear in my communications. While "in general" much of what you have said is true, you made it clear when you emphasized earlier, you were NOT generalizing by saying,
    Of course, because it was a blanket statement, it was indeed wrong and I am glad now we are on the same page. All is good and thanks for clarifying. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.