High diversity in destinations for improved anonymity

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Ulysses_, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulysses_

Ulysses_ Registered Member

Here's a paper that concludes TOR is hopeless against a network adversary given enough time, specifically:

"Some of our results against an adversary controlling ASs or IXPs are similarly alarming. Some users experience over 95% chance of compromise within three months against a single AS or IXP."
    "An adversary with additional ASes or IXPs has much higher compromise speed, notably against even those users in “safer” locations. Such an adversary is highly relevant in today’s setting in which many large organizations control multiple ASes or IXPs."

However, among the conclusions there is also this promising one:

"Surprisingly, we observe that high diversity in destinations may actually result in improved security against a network adversary."

May be re-inventing the wheel here, but what if lots of scripts pretending to be firefox are made to browse a high diversity of destinations, for example retrieved from search engine results with search terms picked randomly from an offline dictionary over and over? With some country-specific searches too to diversify geographically?

In other words, as you browse, you also run a bot with extremely diverse interests in many country domains. How effective would this be?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That seems reasonable.

I recommend asking on http://tor.stackexchange.com/ to get more expert answers.

Or maybe on the tor-talk list. Paul Syverson posts there, but I'm not sure whether he's on Tor.SE or not.

3. Ulysses_

Ulysses_ Registered Member

I have decided to not pursue this research any further. Anonymity is a bad idea. Instictively I have always known it in my heart. Even though I researched it, downloaded stuff like Tails, tested it, but never got to use it. It is as if an angelic hand has held me from using TOR. Any anonymous traffic will eventually attract dictatorial regime attention as more and more countries are becoming dictatorships, and if they cannot break the anonymity, they will pre-emptively arrest anyone who is using it, whether a criminal or not.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."

Benjamin Franklin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.