High CPU Usage, strange memory usage

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware beta forum' started by Chubb, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Fully recognizing that this is BETA testing and that bugs, etc., are to be expected-

I just hope ewido understands that the CPU usage by ewido.exe as it stands now makes ewido 4.0 an undesireable security program when-

1. Ewido.exe consumes 20-30% CPU utilization for 7-9 minutes following boot up when the system is restarted.

2. Ewido.exe spikes memory 7-20% every 2-3 seconds when it is minimized to the systray. In addition, I've seen it start using 15-20% CPU continuously for no apparent reason and the only way to get it to stop is to close down ewido.exe and restart it (not a frequent occurrence; however, I had this happen at least 4 times since beta testing started).

3. Ewido.exe consumes 20-30% CPU as long as the GUI is open...just sitting there...user doing nothing.

4. Ewido.exe's GUI being open causes a scan to consume 50%+ more CPU utilization as compared to the scan being done when the GUI is closed.

5. Plus 1-4 occurs whether all shields are turned on or off which adds to the "mysterious" behavior concern.

Whether this behavior is called a "bug" or "non-optimized" is a matter of word definitions. I (and I suspect many other users) will be very disappointed if a public release of 4.0 exhibits this negative impact on a user system. And this is on a fairly fast Dell with lots of memory, etc., under XP-SP2 HE.

JMO ;)

2. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Optimization is a completely different programming task than debugging.
    Its not a matter of definition.
    Its a different thing when the code of the program does redundant things wasting system resources than when the code is buggy.An extremely simple example is the following.
    Unoptimized C code
    i=i+1;
    a=a+i;
    Optimized C code
    a+=(++i);
    Both do the same but the second is much more efficient.
    Optimization is the process of substituting a suboptimal algorithm with one other that does the same thing using less resources,which means doing the same thing more efficiently in very general terms.

Buggy code on the other hand is something totally different.In general and simple terms we can say that the code is doing something different than what the programmer wants.
    It could be a design error.It could be a mistyping error.It could be many things!
    From your description of the problems I think that what is causing them is probably buggy code(Dont forget that its a beta).
    Additionally modern programming focuses on the reusability of the code,easy understanding of what the code does(even from people that didnt participate in writing the original program) and easy maintenance of the program(for example adding new features).Optimizing is not among the priorities any more as it once was because computers had *very* limited resources.

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  3. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

Any idea yet when the next build will be released with these bugs fixed? I want to reinstall the beta, but I am waiting for the newer build.

4. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

"These bugs" Are many :| We need some time.

But the next build should be available soon. I can't tell you exactly when 4.0.0.151 will be available.

BR

5. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

I will wait patiently. I have faith in you guys at Ewido. These things do take time to perfect.

6. honeybunny

honeybunny Suspended Member

I ´think you mean 4.0.0.152 :rolleyes:

7. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Fully understand and accept this. That's what Beta testing is all about. ;)

8. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Yeah right.

9. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

I, for one, accept your point Vinzenz. However I was intrigued by all of this, so I observed my Task Manager for an hour after reboot; I noticed quite heavy CPU usage by Ewido going up and down between 5% and 25% initially, but then it quietened down to barely noticeable, like 1% to 3% after 45 minutes. Almost as if 4.0 needs to warm up, heh.

10. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I also saw the Ewido 4.0 CPU usage spikes happening every few seconds. I think it may have something to do with running other antispyware, antivirus, HIPS programs at the same time. How many have seen heavy periodical CPU usage by Ewido 4.0 when not running other security applicatons?

Regards,
    Lu Chin

11. khazars

khazars Registered Member

I've just downloaded this and its footprint is only 6-7 MB and no problems what so ever.

I am running Jetico, ghost security suite beta 1.110, proxomitron, arovax shield, pgfree, socketshield beta and anti vir free.

12. lhbump

lhbump Registered Member

I put the file lsass.exe and my antivirus's program folder (nod32 av) on the exceptions list and the spikes disappeared.

13. Clubace

Clubace Registered Member

After putting my AV, AS into the exception list, i noticed it consumed only abt 2k of memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.