Hide real IP

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by FluxGFX, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

How would I go about hiding my real IP without the use of proxy software ?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The simple answer is "you can't." Meaning that, if you are trying to connect to something like a webpage, ftp server or whatever, and you actually want that thing to respond to you, it either must know your real IP address, or the address of a proxy that makes the request for you. Think about it - without a return address, nothing would ever come back to you...

So, anonymous proxy servers are used as a "go between". They know your address and they talk to another site on your behalf, and hopefully only tell their address to the other site, not yours. (There are referrer fields you need to watch out for on proxy servers, but that is a complex issue.)

Perhaps you could explain more about what you'd like to accomplish in order for people to be able to respond with specific suggestions for how to go about it...

Also, here are a couple fairly recent threads related to proxies and being anonymous, just for reference. :)

"anonymizer" services
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6586

Proxo - Fake Proxy Host_Name & IP Filters
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=6800

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

3. FluxGFX

Hey Low ;)

The trouble with proxy's is that their either SLOW/Not working and the ones that do work don't work for long.

And yeah proxy might be fun, but most fast proxy are transparent.

If only we can land on some fast, anonymous, high anonimoty proxy's, that would be awsome ;) but oh well.

In general what I was trying to say was that I wanted to find a way to hide my real IP without the means of proxy's.... gatewayx, routers etc... dunno.... maybe we can think of something that could be applyed to this specific... so that anyone could be a ghostly surfer.

4. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi Flux,

As said by LowWaterMark, no way : )

BTW, running so many pagers is not the best way to remain anonymous, unless using them through proxysocks...

Rgds,

5. FluxGFX

Hey Jack,

So many pagers...... well has a lot of people have different thing.. this is the best way to keep at it..... thought they are all on Trillian ;) with a running proxy ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.