Hi everyone

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by reasonablePrivacy, Oct 7, 2017.

1. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I am new here. I want to say hi to everyone.
    My main OSes are Windows and OpenBSD. Former Gnu/Linux user - primarily Debian and other Debian-ish distributions.
    Primarily looking for privacy tips.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

3. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Hi, and Welcome to the Forum. :)

4. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Welcome aboard!

I am sure you will enjoy your stay.:)

5. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Welcome!

If there's one tip I'd give anyone from the outset, it would be to get familiar with operation of virtual machines - have you investigated these much?

6. mirimir

@deBoetie -- Good advice :thumb: Also full-disk encryption. And Linux, perhaps starting with Debian or Manjaro. Or even Ubuntu, although it's quite resource-intensive, and wants to know perhaps too much about your system. Or one of the lighter variants, such as Lubuntu, Kubuntu or MATE.

7. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Welcome.
    Not much in the way of privacy these days even Linux.
    Sorry just the way it is. NSA has a strangle-hold on us all.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I say blame the people. When only one in a million has the nerve to stick their neck out and of those that hear them only one in thousands backs them up while the response from the rest is just silence, then they are part of the problem.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  9. mirimir

10. Reality

Reality Registered Member

@reasonablePrivacy Hi and welcome. I'd say the more you can isolate your online activity the better off you will be. Isolation is a broad topic but every bit helps.
    Not true. I'm not going to submit to "just the way it is" mentality either.

11. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I am not happy about direction Gnu/Linux crowd is heading (especially systemd), so I switched to OpenBSD. It is reasonably minimalistic Unix-like OS. OS encryption can be deployed using softraid(4) crypto discipline. It's more Unix-like than Gnu/Linux for sure. It has suprisingly productively community given it's a lot smaller than Gnu/Linux community.

12. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I agree with you about Linux, and think their kernel team has been complacent about security (which in some ways, lags way behind best practices of things already in Windows - which of course is only duct tape over the holes). This is in part why VMs are a good idea, and at least allow the convenience of running Linux and Windows as necessary in VMs.

Of course, there will be attacks on VM software and which break isolation, but those are likely to be of higher value so less frequently used in the wild. I've not browsed or done internet facing stuff on a "real" machine for many years now.

Since OpenBSD is in your purview, you may find pfsense on freebsd congenial. It's valuable both as a normal perimeter gateway and as a rig for virtual machine chains.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.