Here's Why Public Wifi is a Public Health Hazard

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by MrBrian, Nov 19, 2014.

1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Interesting. Skimmed over the article, and it doesn't seem to disclose how he intercepted SSL, if he did so.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Nice "story".

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

It looks like he's hinting at using more tools than just something like Wireshark:

5. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Its an interesting read. Lots of stuff similar to Backtrack forums every day. The public really doesn't have a clue how weak their security practices are.

Here is an interesting and quite true story (not my story but I could do it easily). Sitting at a coffee shop and hack into Email/Facebook of a patron sitting there. Decide to send them a post warning them that they are hacked and even where they are sitting - exactly. Dazed and flustered they shut down their laptop. Within minutes they are back on and didn't change any practice or show any further security concerns. Can you believe that? Its a true story.

6. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Many public wifi's do not have any encryption turned on they are unsecured. When you connect to the network you are connecting to a gateway managed by a third party company, all the users use the same username and password to connect to that gateway.
    I am quite sure these company's are monitoring all traffic.
    A typical example of such a company, http://air2data.com/
    The only way to ensure they are not monitoring your traffic is to use end to end encryption, vpn's etc.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014