Here’s why Oree’s $200 wooden keyboard is worth every cent

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Krusty, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

http://www.news.com.au/technology/i...t/news-story/96a2bd57fd6653c8da67c1b38f9d2256

2. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

I would love the Walnut grain, with a cherry wood stain, that would look so awesome.
    Man, why did you have to post this, now it's another 200 bucks I have to justify to the wife lol
    Great share @Krusty :thumb:
    Contacted them, waitnig to see if Cherry wood stain is an option.....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hey C_G,

It should be a little cheaper in the US with the current exchange rate. ;)

4. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

Yeah I noticed that, I edited my post too, waiting to see if a cherry wood stain can be offered or not, will let you know
    what their feedback is.

5. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

If it had collapsing spring keys I might be interested

6. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Aw, something neat and refreshingly different from the usual doom and gloom. Thanks, Krusty! :)

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

A lifetime guarantee sure helps take the sting out of the original price. Oh, and the official website says "US$149".

While I am more of a practical person instead of aesthetics, there is something about a finely crafted piece of wood that makes me drool. Still, I wish there was some comment about the "feel" of the keypresses. I like a solid feel with positive feedback. It does not need to "click", but almost and definitely not feel mushy.

It's quite small at 30 x 15 x 4cm (11.8 x 5.9 x 1.57 inches). I assume the 4cm/1.57in thickness is at the back. I also wish there was a model with a number pad. :(

The website does not mention anything about stains - only "invisible (matte) food-safe varnish" so I am guessing the only options are the natural maple or walnut "color" of the wood.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Nothing unreasonable about $149 US with a lifetime guarantee. I've paid more for keyboards that don't. I've paid more than that for Logitech junk.

9. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yes, but most likely, those keyboards contained several, if not many special keys. You probably could control your media player, perhaps zoom in and out, not to mention a number pad.

I don't even see common extra keys found on most computer keyboards, like Insert, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn or NumLock. Keys needed for "normal" computing tasks.

I wish they had an image from above instead off to the side.

Odd too you have to spend $185 to get free shipping.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is cool and the workmanship looks top notch. But I've seen small, cheap notebook keyboards that were more practical and functional.

Looking great is one thing but it has to do its job too.

I think the problem is they needed space between the keys for structural strength. With normal manufactured keyboards, they keys are right next to each other. That allows more keys in the same space.

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Apple has made billions on stuff that is more fashionable than functional. It depends on who your target audience is. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.