HERE versus Microsoft versus Windows ... maps!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Words from the mouth of a Linux user who loves Windows Phone: a comparison between different offline navigation applications for Windows Phone 8.1 and 10 following announcement about HERE Maps/Drive+ end of life, including HERE, Microsoft Maps and Windows Maps, covering look & feel, ease of use, guidance features, accuracy, real-time traffic updates, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-phone-navigation-comparison.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

That seems to be the general theme with Windows 10.

How much can we take away from the end user?

With power comes control and the consumer by no means benefits.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Read this review all the way through. Well stated can't argue because I haven't used windows phones.

@mrk welcome to Android! It's about time.

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Interesting, a pity that he did not wait for the very last version of windows maps in the latest Win10 mobile, even more refined that the version tested.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I couldn't wait because the phone ain't mine (640 lte) and I had to give it back to my friend.
    Mrk

6. @Mrkvonic

I used Windows Maps to drive through South Africa and Namibië last year (driven between 100-150 miles per day in 4.5 weeks)

This is what I like about Windows Maps on 8.1. When you have internet connection at your B&B or Hotel, set some way points for the next day, save them as favourites. During the day you can use navigation without internet connection, only using your GPS in your phone (which does not cost anything).

My wife has an Android for work and an Apple privately. Using Windows phone all day for navigation and in the evening for internet/mail/whatsapp etc resulted in battery having around 11-19% left when I went to sleep. Android phone on standby all day, with some mail checking at evening usually had 8-12% battery life left. The Apple also on standby and used for internet simular as my Windows Phone had 9-15% battery life left.

As mentioned earlier: $200 windows phone performs as good as 400$ Android or $600 Apple. Besides price, performance and battery the best quality of a Windows phone is that nobody wants it. I got it returned on an Airport in Asia and a Hotel in Africa.

Regards Kees

7. fax

fax Registered Member

:D:thumb: Very true... on top it is a difficult target for spyware or state monitoring.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Are you taking into account M$ already hands over the 'keys' to all their OS's beforehand to most all US 3-letter security organizations? Maybe it's true for non-US agencies though.

9. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

On Win10 mobile, the latest version of Windows Maps is indeed more refined.
    I haven't used 'Hey boys, hey girlsHERE WeGo' on Android so I can't compare 'Windows Maps on W10m' with the latest incarnation of HERE.

On my Lumia 630 with Windows Phone 8.1, I've gotten map updates for all EU countries 2 weeks ago but I'm not sure how recent these updates were pushed. Perhaps I was seriously slacking with these.
    As long as map updates keep coming, I won't start foaming at the mouth, yet.

When those updates are over, I'll have to decide if a Lumia 650 is still worth the nerves, anxiety and beatings that MS likes to impose on it's mobile users.
    Or, that I'll have to cross over to the Dark SideAndroid.
    Why, oh why Microsoft. Can't we all just get along?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.