Herd Protect and MBAE

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Q Section, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    It seems that between Herd Protect and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit one would have some good secondary protection if one's main security programme was not sufficient (as none are).

Certainly one could use Herd Protect and MBAE together but it may be an overlap. Granted they do their work (keeping the computer free from malware) two different ways and both do not attempt to try and catch every different type of malware but the end result is supposed to be nearly the same. That is to say they both act as an adjunct to one's primary security programme hoping to catch malware that had not gotten detected and stopped by the primary security programme to an extent. Yes Herd Protect is not so specific and hopes to catch any malware present and MBAE attempts to focus on browser exploits but with the 68 engines Herd Protect uses one might be think at least a few of them would cover the browser exploits. Perhaps some good testing (while a good primary programme is also running) will be most telling.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello Q Section:

I agree in a general way. Systems security is an on-going process and not even a collection of security applications.

MBAE is always resident. herdProtect is much likened to an on-demand, passive, malware scanner in it present form.

I don't agree here. MBAE strives to shield the system from some attacks where herdProtect attempts to detect the presence of after the fact malware presence.

Again - I can not quite agree. You seem to imply that the primary security program is one's anti-virus or anti-malware application or suite. Conceptually this may not be wise. However, both may be effective parts of an overall security process.

Again - I fear I also do not agree with your description of herdProtect in its current form. Additionally, MBAE not only attempts to actively shield browser exploits, but it also attempts to actively shield: Microsoft's Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Java, Adobe Acrobat and Reader, Foxit Reader, WMP, VLC, Winamp, QuickTime players, Windows Script Host and Windows Help.

Respectfully, my comments above should suffice. Both MBAE and herdProtect do have interesting and compelling concepts at their base.

HTH :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  3. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Re: herdProtect and MBAE

From the herdProtect website:
    Sorry but their whole product coming soon was meant. That was not made clear.
    What is meant by the “primary security system” is the programme that does the most work and is meant as the primary system to thwart malware. Of course a layered approach is always best. It would not seem to matter what one calls different parts of one's security set-up just as long as the whole package is a good complete solution as far as one can build it.
    Apologies for the lack of clarity but what was meant was the herdProtect product that will have real-time protection due out in Q2 this year.

Best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.