HELP

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ljc1174, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljc1174

ljc1174 Registered Member

I think I did a bad thing.

Earlier today I was trying to run Spybot... It wasn't searching right, it kept locking up on me. Well, I just got home and stupid me seems to think the easiest way to fix a program is to unistall and reinstall... not only did my spybot disappear but all my other icons except the original 5 icons on my desktop disappeared to.

Did I just loose everything?

2. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi lori

dont panic this sort of thing happens to me all the time are ya icons still gone after restart if so them what has probabley happened is that the bad uninstall has cerruped some of the files ya other apps need to run

if ya got maintance software try givin that a go and see if that fixes ya trouble if not and ya cant get ya apps workin ya may need to uninstall each of ya apps and reinstall them and in the most drastic stiuation if all eles fails ya can try doin system reinstall

hope this helps if not ya will have to wait till some one more knolagble about these things can answer ya coz im still a rookie

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Tony has posted a way to fix some icon-issues.
    Maybe this could help here.
    I'll ask him to jump in.

4. root

root Registered Member

Something like that happened to me once. I have Win2K and for some reason, when I rebooted, I got logged in as a different user. Check your login name and if it is not the correct default logon, then log off and log back on as the correct user.

5. ljc1174

Ok, I'm off my panic button... I rebooted... the desktop icons didn't come back... but all programs are here, and in the start up menu... and everything "appears" to be working fine.

One more question, please tell me that Spybot wasn't one of those programs that could only install once, after unistall there's no possibility of getting it back?

I will try to reinstall, if I have any problems I'll be sure to let ya'll know! ;)

Tony, you mentioned to me to fix my icons changing on their own to delete the shellicon file, I did this and I'm still having the same issues with them. It fixed the problem for a day or two but they are back again. Obviously something is corrupted on my pc because that d**n downloadalot is still coming up as my homepage. And I've tried installing Opera... my weenieME doesn't like it. The d/l starts, stops, then my whole pc locks up and I have to power down. I've basicly given up and I've come to the conclusion that I am stuck with IE because I will not use MSN explorer. If someone would kindly pass me a hammer I can definitely fix my pc problems!!!

~Lori

6. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Lori, you didn't install spybot right on the desktop did you? If you did, and you then uninstalled it, it would delete every icon in the folder.

7. ljc1174

Yah, I probably did when I first installed it, but would that cause it to remove all my icons like, icq, msn, IE, gnucleus, etc.? Either way, the programs still work properly and if anything it did me a favor by cleaning up my desktop! LOL

8. When you unzipped it in the first place

..did you" first make a foldder on the desktop to put all of it in..and then from that folder, hit the spybotSD.exe to get it all goingo_O

9. ljc1174

The second time I did, and now It's all moved to a folder in my program files...
    I just d/l Ants, I guess I have to learn German now! :p

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Lori,

As advized in the "ants" thread you've opened: ditch ANTS at the spot: outdated and abandonned, thus the actual version is hardly of any use.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.