Help with security solution please.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Accolite, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accolite

Accolite Registered Member

Hi. At work we have just installed Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 R2 Standard (withOUT ISA).

Due to the nature of the product, we cannot have a Transport Layer Firewall on the Server, and we are behind a NAT firewall anyway. However, we are looking at Application Layer and OS/Process Layer firewall solutions to back up NOD32 AV. Could you make any suggestions as to some suitable programs please.

Apart from the server, our other computers are 5 Win 2k uoSP5 and 1 XP Pro SP2.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Accolite, I have moved your thread here where it should receive better attention.

Cheers :D

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Your product must be freeware / payware?
    What are the licensing issues?

If I understand correctly, you wish control outbound? What control do clients have? Full admin account?

Mrk

4. Accolite

Accolite Registered Member

The only admin accounts will be for me, the boss and my bro (the techies). Everyone else will be client only with write / execute access only where needed.

So in theory we probably do not need program control for clients, but where I will download and try some stuff, it would be a good idea to have that sort of protection.

Licensing is not an issue, because if it does the job will get it.

Boss is still realing from the last u/g to NIS 2006 for 10 users and its buggy uselessness.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

First, cheap solution: Group Policies. This is a powerful tool for controlling Windows and when used correctly does magic.

If you can be patient, I will post an article on Friday or Saturday, explaining the usage of these.

For testing and trying - Virtual Server / Workstation, preferrably on a Linux machine, which you can easily dual boot to your Windows.
    http://www.vmware.com/

A very nice, unobstrusive tool - DefenseWall, very good for curbing down the escalation of privileges, sort of a sandboxing software.
    http://www.softsphere.com/

If you got more questions, feel free to ask.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.