Help With S.M.A.R.T. Analysis By CrystalDiskInfo And Chkdsk Parameters

Discussion in 'hardware' started by frank7, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

Can the HDD with detailed S.M.A.R.T. analysis done by CrystalDiskInfo still be used to install the OS by making a partition around the reallocated sector? Would this be a wise move or rather risky since the HDD could blow any time soon, no?

S.M.A.R.T. failure 01.PNG

How would I go about making a partition round the reallocated sector? I have no clue about this. If any one has done this before I am very happy about any information on it, otherwise if there are links to detailed tuts about this that would be excellent as well. The HDD seems to read fine mounted through the QuickPort I have, in fact Windows "Disk Management" shows it as error free. Strange..

What about the pending sector count? Could I use the MS Chkdsk command for example to fix those sectors? The HDD is empty so there is no fear of loosing data. I have had a good look at the Wiki S.M.A.R.T. as well as at the MS Chkdsk documentation but still have no clue what parameter to include with the command. /x ? or /r or something else?

Altogether I am properly confused about the CrystalDiskInfo values. There are two other HDDs that show caution as well.

S.M.A.R.T. 02.PNG

Here the uncorrectable sector count is 100 and the worst value is 100 showing a yellow caution dot.

S.M.A.R.T. 03.PNG

Here the uncorrectable sector count is 100 and the worst value is 100 as well but it shows fine, as in a blue dot next to it. Why? Properly confused about this. This is also the new HDD as you can see from the power on hours.
    On the other hand this one shows current pending sector count as 47 and the worst value as 47 as well. Why are the current and worst values the same. This does not make sense to me. I need to learn how to interpret this values correctly so that it makes sense to me. This HDD is about half full with sensitive info. How would I go about running Chkdsk on it with what parameter to fix the current pending sector count?

I hope these are not too many questions for one post, however I guess they all fit in the same category. If this is not the right place to ask these sort of HDD S.M.A.R.T. question perhaps there is a good forum that any one knows of where this could be answered? I doubt it since so far So far WildersSecurity always got me the right answers so far.

Again thanks for your most valuable input and help on this.

Laters :)

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Run chkdsk. Then check the disks again with the same program and others, such as HD Tune or Hard Disk Sentinel. The SMART parameters read by all should be the same, but the interpretations can be different. Or, better, run the disk manufacturer´s diagnostics.

If the alarms appear in several programs, it is necessary to change the disk.

Also, the temperatures seem too high. Check other systems sensors. This can be done with SpeedFan (also checks SMART) or HWiNFO.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Id try Hard disk sentinel trial ,and then post the results on thier forums...
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=fe512c8fc9e6b4281c27fbae87c8f870
    The developer janos is very knowledgable ,and helpful.You may even end up purchasing it when youve tried the program and sampled the support.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I can tell you that smart data is unreliable. I had a disk with rellocatable sectors live for years after the error and a perfectly healthy disk die without a warning. It's all about statistics. Keep your data backed up and be ready for a flexible transition when you're ready.
    Mrk

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Of course, SMART is about statistics (like almost everything in the world). As I understand it, the objective of SMART is to predict failure statistically -- an alarm means that the probability of imminent failure is "high".

6. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

Just to let everyone know, the 250GB Hitachi is gone and the 2TB Hitachi is going back to seller on guarantee since by now the status is Bad and Hitachi's own DriveFitnessTool indicates an error as well. So in a way the prediction here is correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.