Help with Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DoeZ0763, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

You could scan the files (my documents or whereever you have them saved) before you reinstall. If they aren't infected, should be OK copying them to a CD.

2. DoeZ0763

DoeZ0763 Registered Member

Good morning all...Sorry it takes me so long to get back to you...but someone's gotta work :p This is wher I'm at and what I've done...Those 25 viruses...I think they're like the one said and are inactive...I remember it saying something about inactive at the end...Can I anyway get rid of all that? Anyhow...I don't have a windows xp disc...system never came with one cuz it has the restore on it...I was able to reinstall the Kaversky correctly this time and ran it...it came up with 2 and it deleted them...seems to be running a tad bit slower...I'm going to clean up again and I want to post my log...should I do that here or on the other board...they never looked at my log last time...waiting for you *puppy*

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

DoeZ0763,

I tend not to go over to that part of Wilders, but did notice that your log has slipped well down in the list. I tried a to do a quick response, but was blocked - not sure why, but that might not be such a bad thing since I am decidedly not an expert in this area. On a quick scan, though, I didn't see anything necessarily amiss. The things I did notice...

1. Running processes look fine to my eyes.
    2. You have some entries related to what looks like the Zero Knowledge Freedom Firewall in O2 - Browser Helper Objects. Since you're now running ZA, they're probably not needed, don't know if they create a problem though
    3. The Downloaded Program Folder - O16 - has a lot of entries - not sure if these would create a drag on the system of other performance issues. I tend to keep the entries here very lean on my PC.

I'd repost a new log over there, perhaps with some questions formed around the items I mentioned above. Apologies to all for posting this info here instead of the proper place.

I'll also occasionally clean out the Windows Prefetch folder (i.e. delete all the .pf entries in - there can be quite a few - location is generally C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch). Initially, you'll notice a bit of a performance hit as new entries are created on the first restart after a cleanup, but if it's absolutely stuffed with irrelevent stuff, you should note better performance afterwards.

Blue

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Blue

Only the experts can monkey around in that forum. :)

If you post a log, you can go back in the forum and give it bump.

That has to be the busiest place I have ever seen.

LINK

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  5. BlueZannetti

That makes sense - it's like plumbing - the home do-it-yourselfer cure is many times much worse than the initial problem and the recovery is a lot messier. I assumed it was something along those lines...

Blue

6. DoeZ0763

I posted a new log over there and I'm waiting for them to look at it. I just really want to get this cleaned up...Does anyone know how to lock up my system so a guest can't get on? I lock the guest account but somehow my daughter gets on still and I think this is where all my problems lie...where the kids go...

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Read this link. Here

You should be the administrator and your kids users. Users have limited rights.

8. DoeZ0763

I've tried all of that...I can't do anything with the guest account...it doesn't allow me to make a password for that one...I can only turn it on/off...I keep it off but somehow she gets on...Unless you know another way I can lock it up...let me know ;)

9. BlueZannetti

Do all the accounts on the maching have reasonably secure passwords that a kid won't be able to quickly guess?

Start>Settings>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change an Account>Click Account Name>Create a Password (or Change Password) depending on how it's set up.

You could also disable the Welcome screen so that the account name has to be manually entered: Start>Settings>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change the way Users Log on or off>Uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen". Of debateable utility since they probably know the account names.

Blue

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  10. DoeZ0763

I change the password and my hubby even has to ask me for it...but I always turn it off when I leave for work and somehow she has managed to turn the guest back on...

My only other alternative is locking her up :D

11. BlueZannetti

I have a pair of teenage sons - that idea also occasionally crosses my mind...

The other thing to consider, since I didn't see a mention of it yet, is to employ an SPI/firewall router if you don't have something like this installed already. Even though it may seem superfluous for one PC directly connected to, say, a cable modem, it will offload a surprising amount of the inbound load from your software firewall to the router hardware and help in blocking unsolicited inbound junk. Decent ones are reasonably cheap - I use a Linksys BEFSX41 - many other brands and models are effectively the same for a simple home installation. There's a lot of options out there.

Blue

12. tazdevl

If you're running XP and didn't put a password on the default administrator's account, they can reactivate the guest account by logging in with it.

Reformat and reinstall might seem a bit extreme if things aren't running normally, but it is the one way to truly get things back to normal if you can't run a system restore.

13. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear DoeZ0763, your daughter seems to tread the path of Gigabyte. make sure she doesn't have a password reset disk. its a good idea to change your password regulary. by default XP will prompt you to change it after 42 days. quite a long time if you ask me. waiting for your scanning log.

14. tazdevl

Only if A GPO is set. Windows doesn't reset passwords in XP Home or Pro, I've been using the same one for the last 6 months.

15. DoeZ0763

I posted a new log yesterday and noone still looked at it...As for the password...I have it set under the administrator...the only thing I can think of is that when I'm not looking she goes and unlocks the guest so she can turn it on that way...Now with all those viruses that aren't active...will they hurt me or is there a way to get rid of them? I don't have cd for XP...never came with one...Call me lazy but I don't want to reformat cuz there's so much on here and don't want to start from the beginning...

16. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear DoeZ0763, i can't find your scanning log. can you link it here or maybe post it for us? could be possible that your daughter unlocks the guest account when you're not around. even active viruses can't harm us as long as we don't run them. i wonder what do you mean by inactive viruses. are they quarantined or renamed? delete them if you wish. its very important that you have a bootable CD of your OS no matter what. i think you should talk directly with your offspring and tell her that her acts are harming your system if she is doing something wrong. restricting her isn't a good idea.

17. tazdevl

LOL OK, lazy. :D

Viruses, short of looking at it myself, I can't tell you. I don't know which ones are active and which aren't. HJT isn't my bag baby as Austin Powers would say.

If you don't want to reformat, I'd recommend not doing any online banking etc... until you are 100% certain that you don't have any active viruses.

However, reformat is the only way to truly get your computer working well. Especially if the registry is borked, which is what I think part of your problem is. No way to heal that. If you don't have XP, you can get an OEM version pretty cheap from www.newegg.com or www.trustprice.com runs about $130... or if you know someone that has a OEM CD, you could copy it and just buy a OEM license for ~$85.

If you want to keep your daughter from turning on the guest account, enable the password for your screensaver and set it for 5 mins or so.

Regarding the administrator account, just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, I don't mean your account. There's a buried admin account you don't see unless you hit F8 during startup and do a safe boot. So she might be getting in that way if she's as clever with computers as most kids are.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.