Help with Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DoeZ0763, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Download the 5.0 trial. Don't bother with 4.5.

Have you installed any other security software recently like a firewall program or cookie blocker? Installed or uninstalled any other AV apps?

Click here:

LINK

If that doesn't work, go to this page

http://www.kaspersky.com/trials?chapter=146481750&downlink=149405045

Right click on ANY of the servers, select Save Target As... if a new window opens up, save it to the desktop. Doubleclick and install. Make sure it's running OK, then try the 5.0.142 update which is the link a few posts up.

2. DoeZ0763

DoeZ0763 Registered Member

TAZ...it didn't allow me with your first link...came up page cannot be displayed...went to next link and right clicked the one for United States...it started but then a window pooped up saying it couldn't download and that no connection was being made...what now? Oh and the only other programs I have are ZA...Spybot...AdAware...CWShredder...no Av at all now :'(

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  3. tazdevl

Turn any active security apps off and try again.

4. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I would just like to say that the links I gave earlier are trial versions of kav personal and kav pro for 30days and have a key already installed.
    Here is the email from kaspersky

We have the following products available for trial for Single Users:

Please click on one of the links to download a 30 day FREE trial of the
    software. If you wish to find out more information with regard to licences
    for multiple workstations servers and/or mailboxes please email
    sales@kasperskylab.co.uk.

KAV Lite - http://kasperskylab.co.uk/files/homeuser/kavlite45.exe

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite has been developed to provide reliable anti-virus
    protection
    for home computers running Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP.
    The main feature of this product is its exceptional ease of installation and
    use.
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus Lite is even suitable for use by beginners. Despite its
    user friendliness
    this software provides the same high quality anti-virus protection as other
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus
    products.

KAV Personal - http://kasperskylab.co.uk/files/homeuser/kavpers45.exe

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal was specifically developed to protect personal
    computers.
    It has a clean and simple interface, a central management system and
    operates automatically,
    constantly running in the background, standing guard against threats to your
    computer and valuable
    data. If a virus attempts to penetrate a system the program automatically
    determines the threat
    source and neutralizes it; all is quickly and easily done with minimal user
    involvement.

KAV Personal Pro - http://kasperskylab.co.uk/files/homeuser/kavperspro45.exe

KasperskyT Anti-Virus Personal Pro was specially developed for advanced
    users seeking the most
    up-to-date anti-virus technologies. Kaspersky Labs implemented its most
    advanced technologies in
    this software product. The software is powered by the most advanced
    technologies such as a
    behaviour blocker and integrity checker which do not require anti-virus
    databases updating.

For detailed product information please refer to our website.

You can easily purchase a license for these products on our website
    www.kaspersky.co.uk

If you have any further queries regarding this email or products please
    email info@kasperskylab.co.uk

Kind regards

Sarah

kaspersky.

The version I am using of kav is the personal version in the download link above and all works well on my xp pro system.

The MUL

5. tazdevl

Doe, try doing a system restore to a point before you tried to install Kaspersky or whenever these issues tarted happening.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hey Deo, It would be good to run the Kav registry cleaner first before you attempt to download another Kav . This will clean out any bits n peices . Then reboot and start again .www.kasperskylab.co.uk/files/utils/remkav.zip (I would tick all three options for the cleaning) .This will maybe help

7. DoeZ0763

Good Morning Taz...I'll start where I left off yesterday...my system is clean from all Kaspersky...I did that registry cleaner...then rebooted. Not to sound that dumb...but what should I turn off to try to download this again? I'm not sure what my security apps are? I'm running ZA-cwshredder-spybot-adaware-spyware blaster...I have no AV at all now. For some reason it won't let me download any trial version so I think I'll have to download the personal...it says it can't find my ms outlook...Thanks again for all the help *puppy*

8. tazdevl

You either have a virus or your registry is completely borked. I'd look into backing up your data and reformatting your computer. I don't know what you mean by it can't find your outlook. It shouldn't need outlook to download a file.

Couple online scanners to be sure your computer isn't infected:

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php
    http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=9913
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://symantec.com/cgi-bin/securitycheck.cgi

If you aren't infected, try turning off each app that's running (Spybot isn't a resident app, nor is Adaware if you're using the free version), one at a time, then trying to download. That will tell you which is causing the problem.

I'd start with ZoneAlarm because I'd bet you either denied access to a program that needs to access the internet or if you're using the pro version you turned all your cookies off. If everything still doesn't work, then something happened to your system and the only way to get it back running well is a reformat or using System Restore and picking a point before all these problems started happening.

9. DoeZ0763

Taz...I scanned my system with the bitdefender...this is what came up...

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\iethietrfrealyss.exe infected: Trojan.Swizzor.B
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\iethietrfrealyss.exe unable to disinfect

I don't know what to do now. I'm gonna scan again with another one to see if I have more.

10. tazdevl

I have no idea what that file is. Did you type it correctly? Good idea to search with another scanner or two. I'd say make sure McAfee is one of them.

You can also try uploading the file to Kaspersky, might find a more common name:

http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

Couple cleanup options:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1060.html

If you can't disinfect, other option is to manually delete the file or delete it with an AV app.

I'd also update Spybot and Adaware signatures, run a scan with both apps.

11. DoeZ0763

Well I scanned my system with all you suggested above...nothing...I even did a search on my system for that file...nothing...I then used those cleanups and still came up with nothing...I'm gonna turn off my ZA and try to download this Kaspersky again and see what happens then.

12. DoeZ0763

FINALLY...IT'S WORKING...The question I have for you now is...which license key do I want? It's asking me for either 00068D7F.key or 00072129.key ? I have no clue...waiting for you :doubt:

13. tazdevl

Under the Support tab, you can add or delete a license key. Just pick whichever one results in a 30 day trial.

14. DoeZ0763

I cleaned my system again...I posted my hijackthis log on the other site waiting for someone to tell me if I'm clean and all...I can't understand why I keep coming up with a virus when I run kaspersky...and a trojan swizzor.b but if I scan with any other AV I come up clean...why is this? Again I have no AV because I can't get the kaspersky to work right and I'm not sure which one I want to go with now...I need something that is gonna scan all my email also...I can't open one of my friends mail cuz it always says there's a virus...W32.beagle I think I really need some help and advice here... :'(

15. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear DoeZ0763, delete this "iethietrfrealyss.exe" if you're having alarm of Swizzor.B in this file. forget that email now and tell us what virus Kaspersky is reporting and in which file? please mention the path too. also download this file and scan your system with it.

link1 or link2 or link3 or link4 or link5 or link6 or link7

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  16. DoeZ0763

I have deleted that file before...this is what it really said... C:\Documentsandsettings\owner\applicationdata\iethietrfrealyss.exe

Now after I've deleted that file I would rescan...it would reappear...then I would run another scan from a different site and it told me about the Trojan Swizzor.B I just ran Panda and it showed 2...1 was disinfected and the other was not...but then I ran a scan with MicroTrend and it came up clean...I'm sorry I don't know what files these are coming in or path either...Sorry :'(

17. DoeZ0763

I turned off my ZA and am scanning right now with that 1st link...forgot to mention that.

18. DoeZ0763

Ok I'm done scanning with the first link you had there...it came up with "25" viruses...what the hell do I do now? I tried to copy it for you but couldn't...please help me :'(

19. tazdevl

I'd do a complete reformat and reinstall. Delete the partition, do a full NTFS format.

Be sure you scan all your personal files before you back them up, make sure they aren't infected.

The amount of time you've spent dinking around with all this, you could have reformatted 10 times. Cleaning doesn't work terribly well. Best to tear everythng down and build it back up.

20. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Those might not be active viruses. They might just be inactive e-mail attachments. This might be a hassle, but I would try this (it's worked for others):

Download McAfee's command line version "DAILYSCAN.ZIP" from http://vil.nai.com/vil/virus-4d.asp. Create a folder that would be easy to get to via the command line such as c:\mcafee. Disable system restore. Boot into safe mode. Go Start, Run and type cmd to open a command-prompt window. Navigate to the c:\mcafee folder (type cd c:\mcafee and hit enter). Once there, type scan and hit enter to see the help screen. To start cleaning right away: type scan c: /sub /clean and hit enter.

Nick

21. tazdevl

At this point it sounds like the registry is borked. Cleaning the computer at this point won't help much.

22. DoeZ0763

I did save the viruses...I never clicked out of it...I can't figure out how to get you guys to see it all...And again...I have no idea what you're asking me to do here...I'm a dumb one when it comes to my computer...this won't let me right click and copy...what should I do?

23. tazdevl

Back up all your personal files to a disc. Insert the Windows XP disc and wipe your computer completely clean. Reinstall all your software after that, then reinstall kaspersky.

After all this, it's the easiest solution.

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yep. That may very well be what they are. When I ran KAV 5.0 trial the first time, it found a bunch of viruses in my OE backup files. I thought it was funny. Those are harmless. They were my "pet"viruses for a long time - good for testing avs with as one is magistr.corrupt...it can't hurt anything but a good av will alert on it and another is Klez.E which is also not really a virus (at least according to Symantec where it was submitted). It's a midi file that is broken. Again harmless but good for testing avs. I finally deleted them some time ago and the other day I was wishing I still had them to test an av. I didn't realize I still had them in the backup. I just told Kav to ignore. Plus, maybe she has eicar on her system? KAV really goes nuts on eicar (I'm used to NOD32 ignoring most eicar until unzipped).

I think the idea of running the McAfee scan is a good one.

25. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear DoeZ0763, its hard to say whats a good choice when we don't know much about your system. please do a re-scan and post your logfile. you can also try the McAfee scan as Nick suggested. doing a fresh install of your OS sounds good but if those 25 viruses have some of them resident in the memory, you won't go far with backing up and have a clean system afterwards. of course a fresh install without any backups will certainlt solve all of your problems. if you don't have important data tazdevl gave you a solid suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.