Help with "BOOTMGR is missing" ... not a dual boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wander, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wander

wander Registered Member

Hi, I recently purchased TI and installed on a Vista 64bit machine. Worked fine, backed up fine, etc.

Today, I decided to do whatever the command is where it overwrites the boot master record such that I can activate TI at bootup with F11 (I don't remember the explicit action I took). Everything seemed to work fine, was instructed to reboot and when the system tried to reboot, I got the error "BOOTMGR is missing".

In trying to research the problem, I see a lot of people have this issue with dual boots and partitions. I am NOT dual booting. I am NOT partitioned on any of my drives.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
    Used my orginal Vista disk to boot and go into repair. In repair, under "System Recovery Options" my OS does not appear, that screen is blank. I try to load drivers for the drive I'm using (Raptor X) and it does no good.

If I go onto the next screen, it gives me the option to fix problems for "unknown on (unknown) local disk". If I try startup repair, goes through and finds a root cause saying 'the partition table does not have a avalid system partition' (error code = 0x0) and says it repairs it, reboots...and same "bootmgr is missing" problem.

I have gone into the command prompt and can see all my drives and all my data. So if there is a manual step to patch things, I could do it... if I knew what to do.

Addition data:
    Right before I did the action above, I had set up a secure zone on another drive (after reading here, I think I misunderstood what that was for and did not need to do that at all since the drive I am using is only for backups).

Ok... thats it. I'd really appreciate help/suggestions. It would be nice to have my main PC back.

Thanks

2. wander

wander Registered Member

Nevermind... was a BIOS setting. Somehow the primary hard drive was 5 in line to boot. Pushing this to the front fixed it.

I would delete this to hide my embarrassment at such a simple muck-up, but am leaving this so that if others have a similar issue they have at least one additional troubleshooting step.

Enjoy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.