Help with Bart PE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by corinthian, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corinthian

corinthian Registered Member

I'm looking for some help setting up the Bart PE plug-in. A couple of folks here in a previous thread seem to think that it was a good idea and that it made it easier For Western Digital MyBook external hard drives to be recognized when booting from CD.

Here is where I am at so far. I have downloaded and installed the Bart PE program, and I have downloaded the plug-in from the Acronis support page, and "unpacked" it into the Acronis plug-in folder. So that when I opened Bart P. E. and clicked on "plug-ins", Acronis shows on the list as being enabled. Along with a whole lot of other programs some of which are enabled and some of which are not. I believe I may have chosen an option during set up of Bart PE, to search for Windows (installation?) files or something. I don't know if that was the right thing to do or not. That may be why all of these other programs are showing in the plug-in list. Then, thinking that I was following the instructions on the Acronis website, I clicked on "build".Then I got a bit of a scare, as it proceeded to rapidly unpack a lot of Windows files. I don't know if that was what was supposed to happen, but as far as I can tell my computer is working A-OK since then.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what to do next.The directions on the Acronis support page say to close the plug-in screen and launch Bart PE CD image creation by clicking the build screen.When I clicked the build button, and all those files got "unpacked", it did not get burned to the CD. Apparently this file got written somewhere else. When I clicked build a second time, I got a message that the file had already been created, did I want to write over it. So I just canceled at that point.

I'm going try to burn it to CD again I suppose. But I'm not sure if I have to click the build button again to do this. And do I leave all of those programs that are showing in the Bart PE plug-in in there, or should I remove them or at least disable them? I'm wondering if all those programs will be going to the CD. Also, do I then have a need to give the Acronis rescue boot disk material onto the same CD with the Bart PE, or is it already there because of the plug-in?

If anyone can give me any clear step one to step five or six details of how to proceed, I would appreciate it. I just hope I haven't done anything harmful already by pushing a wrong button during the first attempt to set this up.

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

try these instructions
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

UBCD is a customised version of BART. Leave the existingplugins in place. Create the TI plugin add it to the plugin dir. The Acronis rescue media does not need to be added the plugin if built to instructions is complete

Start Bart or UBCD check that it is enabled .

Create ISO . I tend to test them in a virtual machine before burning - bit quicker. links here

http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

You should end up with a Iso file about 500 mb is size

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  3. Omen

Omen Registered Member

You can also try Reatogo-X-PE (http://www.reatogo.de/index.htm). It uses Bart-PE as its core, but provides help with drivers and such. I had a problem getting my FastTrack drivers recognized; Reatogo-X-PE took care of that very easily.

4. corinthian

Thanks Omen and Starfish for the help.
    Bill

5. corinthian

Well, can you believe it: yet another wild and crazy problem. The Bart PE disk has now apparently been successfully burned. The system will boot right up with this CD. No problems. So then I have to figure out how to start Acronis from within this disc. It doesn't show anywhere listed in the programs, which I kind of thought it would. But I was able to browse to Acronisti.exe (I think that was the name of it -- within the program files) and clicked on it and quickly got the message that there was a problem with my serial number and I needed to reinstall Acronis! Of course Acronis true image 9 version 3677 is running just fine in my Windows XP environment. It also works fine when booted from the plain old Acronis rescue media CD. Does anybody have any idea what could have accounted for this particular error message from Bart PE, said surely the correct serial number is installed for my Acronis 9 to be working correctly in Windows and under the Acronis rescue media? Maybe this is one of those things that one of the alternate versions of Bart PE (recommended in this thread) will be required in order to solve this problem? I'm going to go back and check, but I'm wondering if when I browse to the program files if there could have been an older version of Acronis.exe that was showing? Of course, I would think this would still have the same serial number anyway since I've only had one original version of true image nine which I have upgraded for five times, but I believe always with the same serial number.

Any ideas anybody (I hope)?
    Thanks
    Bill

6. Omen

Omen Registered Member

If I remember correctly, Reatogo-X-PE copied the whole Acronis True Image install directory over to its installation, picking up TI's license in the process.You might want to copy the whole Acronis directory over and do another rebuild of the CD.

7. corinthian

Thanks Omen. I will either try the Acronis directory copy or switch to Reatogo.

Do any of you Bart PE (or it's alternative) users feel there is a distinct advantage to using this versus a working Acronis rescue CD? What exactly are the most obvious advantages, if any? I figure there must be some advantages if folks are going to the trouble of using these programs and if Acronis is supplying a plugin in for them.
    Thanks
    Bill

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The two advantages that spring to mind are:-

Improved speed, particularly on restores from an external drive.

Having one's bleeding edge devices recognised which are not seen by the standard CD.

Xpilot

9. corinthian

Thank you Xpilot! Both of those sound like good reasons to pursue it. But alas, I may have to give up for now. I thought I could overcome the serial number thing by correcting the way I "unzipped/unpacked" the Acronis plug in. First I placed the zipped folder into the Bart PE plug-in folder, where all the other programs were Re: listed, and unzipped it there. This created a folder called Acronis, just like all of the other programs had. Previously this folder had not been there, just the individual Acronis files. So I clicked build again and read burned to another CD. But I saw a warning this time that said "OEM windows can be trouble!" And the usual message that harass so often about some file names being too long. So apparently, since I don't have a Windows XP disk, only what came installed on my Hewlett-Packard computer and the restore console that came installed on the computer, I may be out of luck trying to install Bart PE get it to work with Acronis. Same problem, Bart PE works just fine, but when starting (or trying to start) trueimage.exe from the Acronis C.:/program files folder, I get the message about the serial number being problematic and I need to reinstall Acronis. Although, clicking on the same file in Windows starts Acronis just fine. So it's probably related to the OEM windows thing, or less likely the long file name thing.

I'm not sure I would fare any better with the reatogo program,, since I noticed that it also requires a system disk or copying that disk to the hard drive. And I don't have a system disk. I just hope I can remember that next time I'm getting a new computer, to go to the trouble and get one that comes with an individual Windows disk! Not having one has caused are a lot of misery over the years!
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.