Help with a virus that got through

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by geomoo, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geomoo

geomoo Registered Member

I hope this is appropriate for this forum. I need help from someone who knows their stuff.

Recently my web searches began returning the usual valid results and blurbs, but the links themselves were to commercial shopping sites or central sales sites, usually ones relating in some way to the search made. Every single link of every search is now to a commercial site. This is effectively rendering my searches useless, and believe me, you never miss your water 'til the well runs dry.

The following may or may not be connected. Soon after this problem started, NOD32 notified me of a virus called AskSbar, which it quarantined. This solved the problem, but only for a short while. I tried deleting my browser and re-loading it--again, the fix worked briefly. This state of affairs exists on either IE or firefox, and also with various search engines.

Can anyone help me with this?

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Download ESET SysInspector, create a log and email it to samples("at")eset.com with this threads URL as the subject.

3. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

Or if u don't want to wait a week and wanna solve it faster, u can download this free program http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It's a malware remover that may help u to solve ur problem.

4. geomoo

geomoo Registered Member

Bingo. It was asksbar and malware remover nailed it. Nod had caught it the first time, but didn't get rid of it for some reason.

Thanks for the help. People helping people: the best thing about the toobz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.