Help : Win 98 + good, simple firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by doctormac, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

@doctormac,
    I also have a backup Win 98SE machine, that's running Zone Alarm's version 5.5.094, together with the latest Mozilla Firefox version 2.0.0.16 (AdBlock Plus and NoScript add-ons installed) that can run on W98; surfing the Net for many years without any problems.

I linked to FileHippo, instead of Zone Alarm, because some of the old ZA downloads from their site, have become corrupted in recent months. Here's their User Guide for version 5.0 in PDF form, if you would like to read it first before doing anything.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi again. I am also on a pension, so I can relate. My last computer which I still use was a Win 98se. I think it had 95Mb Ram and 450mhz cpu. I increased the RAM to 375Mb and had no problems running my AV or AS apps. I had a Broadband IP too. The only reason I bought a new computer was I wasn't able to find software compatible any more. Looking at what your security apps are, I'd say you've got it covered. You don't seem like someone who surfs in dangerous web sites so I wouldn't worry too much. As far as a FW, some good advice has been offered already. :)

3. doctormac

doctormac Registered Member

Sunday Afternoon (in the UK)

Hello again folks

Well, yet again many thanks for your replies.

I do appreciate the further advice from you. As I've already mentioned, I'm a pensioner now so do have time on my hands to "fiddle" around. I'm plased to read the comments from a fellow-pensioner that, basically, I seem to have things covered on my Win98se old system.

But to be fair to everybody who has taken the time and trouble to respond - and the kindness and advice given - I'm going to "experiment" with ALL the suggestions! :p

I have already downloaded the HIPS program "System Safety Monitor" as was suggested (free version) and will need to get my head around that. I have not installed it yet but have taken a look at the Help/How to file. Hooo! boy! Talk about a "learning curve" !!!

I'm also going to follow the links to take a look at an older version of Zone Alarm.

So ... I've got plenty to play around with.

All the VERY best to all of you.

Good wishes and go well ...

Dr. Mac

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

5. doctormac

doctormac Registered Member

Hi Noon_Particular

Great! I'll go check out that thread now.

Thank you!

Dr. Mac

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

With System Safety Monitor, it's a very good idea to make sure that your system is completely free of virus, malware, and any other undesirables, especially if you plan on using the learning mode. The learning mode basically trusts whatever is running at the time. It doesn't differentiate between good and bad.

There's several good threads here about setting up and using SSM. Most are in the other anti-malware software section. IMO, SSM is the best thing that could have happened for 98 users. Once a user understands it and the system it's installed on, you can secure it against most anything, except bad decisions by a user with access to SSM's ruleset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.