Help, TrueImage 9 won't work after install.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Susann, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susann

Susann Registered Member

Hi, I upgraded to TI 9 build 2302 from version 8 and I never had this
    problem before with version 8. When I put my serial number in and it
    installs fine, then it reboots the computer, and I try to run TI 9 I
    get "error - TrueImage cannot find proper serial number and says to
    reinstall product. I tried to reinstall it but get the same error.

So I got to thinking maybe it is using one of the services in the
    Administrative tools that I have turned off that version 9 uses that
    version 8 didn'to_O So I turned on all the services on to automatic
    and reinstalled TI 9 and then it works. I don't want all the services
    on because I have it set to only what I need so it doesn't take up
    so much system memory. I have the Acronis Sheduler2 on Automatic,
    all RPC on automatic, and also noticed it has to have the darn
    Windows Installer on for the bloated .msi feature that MS came up with
    to bloat our hard drives more. So I have those services on but that
    still isn't good enough for TrueImage 9 to want to work without giving
    the darn "cannot find proper serial number" error. Version 8 worked
    fine with these services on but version 9 must want one of the other
    services on that I have offo_O

Can anyone help me on what services need to be on for TrueImage 9 to
    work after installo_O I don't want to have all services on just for
    version 9 to work, as it eats up too much system memory to have all
    services on. HELPo_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Susann,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following in order to resolve this problem:

1) Uninstall Acronis True Image 9.0
    2) Open registry editor (Start->Run->regedit) find the following branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\TrueImage

and set permissions for these branches as "Full Control" for SYSTEM account and your account.

3) Install Acronis True Image 9.0 once again.

This workaround will allow Acronis True Image 9.0 to install your serial number correctly and you will be able to use this product. Please contact me again if the problem remains.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. Susann

Susann Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply! :D

I tried as told but unfortunately it didn't work. :'(

I'm still getting the error.

I'm really stumped as to why it will work with all services set to automatic during install but won't if I only run a minimum set of services?

4. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Just don't worry about the services. Leave them at the default install settings. (set them using this link if you've changed them from default: (http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services) (remove the ( )'s). As has been explained, Acronis's services consume but a very small amount of resources when not running, or running, for that matter. This should be one of the least things to worry about with version 9. Todays programs use resourses, and if you don't use the resourses you have available on your computer, please tell me how you save them for another day's use? They are *there* to *use*.

...Allen

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  5. Susann

Susann Registered Member

Thanks for the help Allen.

I have all the services set to Automatic that I know of that the Acronis True Image version 9 uses or needs but it still gives that error message so, it seems it's using a extra service that version 8 didn't use and I haven't been able to figure out what it is without alot of hard work involved. I just wish version 9 would let me have the services like I had them with version 8 as my system runs much quicker and smoother with the services not running that I don't need as pointed out in the Tech Help configs for removing services not really needed for a better system and I'm a person that hates waste and bloat to keep my system running at it's best. Thanks! :)

6. Susann

Susann Registered Member

Does anyone really know?

Anyone know what services need to be running, as not to get the "cannot find proper serial number, reinstall product" error message?? Thanks.

7. Allen L.

Re: Does anyone really know?

The main site that I use for 'services' info is the BlackViper site (he's got a reg.edit file for re-setting to default), but it's down, that's why I referred you to the Elder Geek site for services...what you might try is go to Start>Run>msconfig>[ENTER] and go to "Services" and check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and you can see what you have running at this time and active a little clearer. A little easier to see than using the services.msc command in "Run". While in the System Configuration Panel you might want to click the "Help" tab. It will tell you how to get a basic 'clean' way to sort through what might be causing a problem.

...Allen

8. Susann

Susann Registered Member

Thanks again for the help! I remember the Black Viper's site, had good help info their for the services and such. Wonder why he went offline? Hopefully he will be back online soon.

as in the other thread...........

Thanks for the help, I did as you suggested and finally discovered that it relies heavily on the Windows Installer service, which I keep enabled but had the RollBack service disabled and it must be enabled during install to not get the "cannot find proper serial number, reinstall the product" error message. Once it's installed, then you can go back and turn off the rollback service. I suspect that it's doing this to embed the serial number in the registry and hidden in the installer .msi files in the installer directory. Glad it's solved but now I have a new problem, I can't get TrueImage to want to make a boot CD disc with my LiteOn SOHW-1693 drive, getting the "error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW" message. I tried leaving the door open trick but it doesn't solve the problem for me. :(

9. Allen L.

See your "What services..." post, I might have posted a help solution there.

...Allen

10. gsownsby

gsownsby Registered Member

Well, I'm having this same problem on a completely fresh install using a completely legal copy of True Image 9.0. This is extremely frustrating. I've tried all the registry permission changes suggested as well as a complete registry cleaner but nothing works. :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.