Help - Trojan Attack?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Marsman, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marsman

Marsman Registered Member

Urgent …Help Please!  o_O

My system’s crippled because of a possible Trojan attack any assistance or recommendations as to what steps I should follow next to fix my current dilemma (delete Trojan)  would certainly be appreciated.

During a file download the following happened:

ZoneAlarm was disabled & shutdown.
    NOD32  for POP3 was disabled.
    BOClean didn’t notice or log an attack.

Immediately ran a virus scan & NOD  logged the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\Blake Mar\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content IE5\RRXJ7X8W\startnow[1].js – probably modified JS/Seeker trojan.

Tried to clean the above with NOD & got the following message:

File C:\Documents and Settings\Blake Mar\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content IE5\RRXJ7X8W\startnow[1].js – probably modified JS/Seeker trojan.
    NOD32 cannot clean this virus.

Here’s my primary system security configuration:

AV Soft:  NOD32  Ver. 1.225 (20020305)
    AT  Soft:  BOClean  Ver. 4.09 Filedate 03/02/2002
    Firewall:   ZoneAlarm  Ver. 2.6.362

TIA,
    Mars Man  ;)

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Mars Man,

Just clean your temporary internet files, and run the scans once more.

Internet Sweeper might come in handy:

http://www.geocities.com/Internet_Sweeper/

regards.

paul

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

try TDS-3 free thirty day trial.

4. Paul Wilders

Well, cleaning the temp internet files is a start. Having a look at the shut downs from various security apps, this most probably isn't a modified JS/Seeker trojan: that one does not have those capacities.

Nevertheless, I was/am interested in the result from cleaning the temp int. files and a rescan.

TDS would indeed be an option. On the other hand, depending on the malware infection, TDS could be put out of business as well. If the problem isn't solved after cleaning the temp files mentione above and a rescan, examining the file by a third party would be the best option IMHO.

Let's wait'n see what comes up   ;)

regards.

paul

5. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

to ensure the security tools don't get blown out, here's what I do:

1) take out hard drive, put it in another computer as a data drive. now no infections will boot when you start the other machine.

2) Scan with tool from the other machine, strip it of malware, run scandisk/chkdisk and defrag it.

3) put it back in first computer, done

I removed 514 viruses from my suster's machine htis way.

6. Marsman

Marsman Registered Member

UPDATE …System Restored!

After the crash it was suggested I delete my Temporary Internet Files & rescan.  In fact, I use System Mechanic 3.6g for cookie, cache & file removal and this had already been done along with several reboots.   On closer investigation SM didn't remove these Temp Files after a Run Now & reboot, which is very unusual.  Anyways, I manually deleted them & rescanned, this time NOD32 showed 0 viruses/trojans.  

At this point my system was still really sluggish & it wouldn’t shut down properly. ZoneAlarm was still disabled & would not restart & I was getting the following message:
    "ZoneAlarm is trying to initialize the TrueVector internet monitor  on your system. Cancel?"

NOD32 for POP3 indicated it was disabled & it wouldn’t restart after close/quit & relaunch.  Several applications & sys functions wouldn’t run.  My computer’s date was reset to March 08, 2059 & CPU usage was running at a constant 100%.

COURSE OF ACTION:
    Ran an Ad-Aware scan & checked StartPage Guard for any peculiarities.  No Spyware or Malware detected.  

PROBLEM & SOLUTION:
    Closed down & completely uninstalled ZA’s TrueVector & all traces of the ZA application.  

SIDEBAR:
    I have uninstalled & reinstalled ZA a few times previously but I was always able to uncheck/unload the TrueVector Service from ZA’s Configure Panel.  Unfortunately, the crash prevented access to the panel so this time around it was a slow & painful ordeal.  For the life of me I couldn’t understand why so many of you were complaining about ZA’s uninstall …now I understand!

ZA’s delightful complete W2K uninstall procedure:  
    http://www.zonelabs.com/services/support_install.htm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/services/support_install_2000.htm

WHAT CAUSED THE CRASH:
    Sorry, no idea at this point.   o_O

NEXT STEP:
    Look into the LNS & Sygate offerings.

Thanks Paul, Unicron, Kevin & Blacksheep for your suggestions & possible solutions, I’m very appreciative.

Cheers,
    Mars Man   ;)

P.S.   Kevin /PSC your tech support, genuine customer concern & BOClean AT product is 2nd to none!

7. Paul Wilders

Mars Man,

I'm very glad to see the problem has been solved  :D.

Indeed PSC/Kevin is  reputation for fine costumer service!

regards.

paul

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Wow! Kevin does costumes, too? Cool! :)  Pete

9. Paul Wilders

Oops..did reveal a secret here! Indeed he does, but on special demand only. Armani costumes are very cheap in comparison with PSC costumes, (5 grant and up), so start putting money aside  :D

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.