Help! Still have adware after running scan!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by CMoonwolf, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMoonwolf

CMoonwolf Registered Member

I sent an email, but thought this might be quicker. I just bought eset nod 32 yesterday and ran 2 scans on my infected computer. The antivirus program found A LOT on the system, but there is still adware on the system, and the computer is totally unusable. I can't even get my email, which is yahoo.com mail. What else can I do?

Co_O

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

First off, Welcome to Wilders.

Secondly. Here is what I recommend:

1) Reboot your system into safe mode. Press the F8 function key before windows loads up and choose safe mode or safe mode with networking, your choice.

2) Turn off system restore. Right click My computer and go to properties. Click the System Restore tab, check the box that says to turn it off and click ok.

3) Make sure NOD is up-to-date and configure for full protection. Do a full system scan.

4) Reboot

5) Turn system restore back on via the same method in step 2.

If, after doing this you are still plagued with adware/spyware. I recommend downloading SuperAntispyware and doing the same steps above with it.

HTH

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please download ESET SysInspector, create a log and send it to samples[at]eset.com with this thread's url enclosed.

4. CMoonwolf

Ok, I am currently trying what you suggested, Capp. I hope it helps...I'll keep you posted.

And to Marcos, I haven't been able to access the internet on that computer, cause of the adware. I have two computers, which is how I accessed this forum. Again, I will keep you posted on the results. The scan is working as I type this.

thanks for the welcome, too.

C:cautious: :cautious:

5. CMoonwolf

Oh, and I keep getting a message from Windows Security Center that the threat name is TrojanDownloader.XS. I didn't see that particular one in your encyclopedia. Is it different or a variant of one there?

C

6. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello,
    Unfortunately no antivirus is, at this moment, able to detect or fix this kind of malware. There is one procedure that is OK (tested personaly) but explaination and tools are french...

http://www.malekal.com/Adware.Magic_Control.php#mozTocId213723
    Try it or maybe find some english similar tools...

Regards

7. CMoonwolf

Then what is my alternative? Wipe the hard drive and start over?

8. CMoonwolf

Ok, I was finally able to do this. Took forever, and was difficult to get the browser to go where I wanted it to. Firefox won't work at all on that computer. :(

:'( :mad: o_O :eek: o_O :gack: :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.