help removing trojan horse

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by saratoga, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saratoga

saratoga Registered Member

I was told about this site from a fellow poster at another forum. Maybe someone can help. If not, that's okay.
    I for some reason am catching most of my viruses [sometimes more (way more) than a hundred at a time and nearly always Trojan Horse and Backdoor Trojans] with manual scans. After tonight's manual scan (it had been about a week) my computer was found to have a Trojan Horse that is unable to be cleaned or quarantined. It also says access denied. I tried to delete it from its current location (windows) but was unable. We use Symantec AntiVirus. Do I need to take my computer for pro help? Obviously, I am rather computer ignorant.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  2. Snowie

Snowie Guest

Start-up in SAFE MODE.......the run your anti virus.....

Also, an anti virus program IS NOT an anti trojan program
    would suggest that you install an anti trojan scanner....EWIDO for win2000 and XP.................A2 for win98.............there are trial versions.

Ok, now the biggie question......how and why are you getting infected so often and by so many.........thats outrageous! You obviously need some prevention advice and TOOLS........so, after you clean-up you should post about your infection problem

Do you have a firewall........is adaware INSTALLED.......HOW ABOUT spywareblaster.........which browser are you using.......if internet explorer is it set correctly................

Snowie The Snowman

3. Snowie

Snowie Guest

4. Snowie

Snowie Guest

An if you do not know how to start-up in SAFE MODE..........download BOOT SAFE from the below link.......it will do it for you....

http://www.superadblocker.com/download.html

That should be enough Tools to clean just about anything you be infected with..........best of luck.............an pass it on........

SNOWIE THE SNOWMAN

5. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Good for a start but there are several secondary steps necessary to scan/clean and set defenses.

6. Snowie

Snowie Guest

Q Section

Certainly feel free to explain to "saratoga" what those "secondary steps " are......................

7. snowie

snowie Guest

saratoga

Nice to have met you and wishing you the best.....I will be bowing out now..........Q Section can finish helping you.

Regards

Snowie

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

9. saratoga

Thank you guys so much. I tried once of the links (EWIDO) mentioned and am using the trial version. On the first scan there were over 18,000 infected files found. I wonder if all these trojan horse and malware issues could somehow be related to the mystery charge (fraud) on an old credit card. Hmmm.

I currently have xoftspy for antispyware and symantec corporate edition for antivirus. I think I am going to convince my husband to take the computer somewhere and see what is wrong with the firewall and security etc. I think this may be a little more than I myself am capable of fixing. Again, thanks so much.

10. snowbound

Good luck which ever way u decide. :)

snowbound

11. saratoga

How do I do this? I am not sure what a hijackthis log is. I still don't even know how televisions work let alone computers. (I am an RN) I apologize for my ignorance.

12. snowbound

Here's a tutorial on HJT,

http://castlecops.com/HijackThis.html

Never remove anything yourself. Just follow the instructions and at the link i posted then post your log there.

As i said, the malware experts at the Gladiator forum will guide u through any removal instructions.

snowbound

13. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    saratoga -
    We did not wish to leave you stranded, sorry. It sounds like there are perhaps quite a few steps necessary to clean and set up security for your computer. The suggestion from snowbound is a good way to start.

Generally you need programmes to cover all malware such as viruses, Trojans, spyware, adware, worms and more. These days several software companies are starting to create security 'suites'. We can recommend a good firewall such as Outpost Pro, a good anti-virus such as NOD32, and in addition there are many settings within your operating system that can be changed to harden your computer as well. Some of the best programmes have no charge, though such as SpywareBlaster which is important as well.

Please download HijackThis and post to the referenced link provided earlier. HijackThis is another no-charge programme to gather information form your computer and then it generates a log for security professionals to see and advise you further.

Best wishes and post here again for further assistance if you wish. There are many people here on this forum with excellent abilities to assist.

14. hitbit

hitbit Registered Member

Hi,
    I use TrojanHunter and find it great. Its TrojanGuard feature is really good.

hitbit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.