Help removing Nortons AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have Norton AV preinstalled on my HP Laptop but I don't want to use Norton AV for 3 month trial.

How can I 100% completely remove Norton AV, including ALL files and ALL registry entries etc?

Thanks. :)

2. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

3. Lucius

Lucius Registered Member

Format! LOL! Right.. First normally uninstall from add/remove program, reboot and try run uninstall tool in safemode if it works there (should though).
    And.. Those uninstall tools etc. does not delete registry entries (leftover driver keys) from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root so if you really want to do COMPLETE UNINSTALLATION.. Well, don't delete anything from there if you don't know which keys belongs to norton (very, very dangerous!!!) but you can delete those entries with psexec and here is info howto do it:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=809404&postcount=3

edit: HAPPY NEW YEAR ! ! ! God bless you all ! !

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  4. Sher

Sher Registered Member

If I were you, I would have opted for a clean install. That tool is risky and it can break other installations. The decision is your's now.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have had some flaky results with the Norton Removal Tool also, so use at your own risk. I'd suggest just a regular uninstall from Win and leave it at that....

6. kupo

kupo Registered Member

This is the one I'm using in removing anti-virus softwares. -http://www.appremover.com/

7. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Agree with Kerodo...

But one step better is to use Revo Uninstaller [freeware or better yet, the portable] from here ...........
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

and use/select the safe removal mode - it uses the apps' uninstaller, plus you also get offered to uninstall many of the important registry Keys [these show up as bold type] to remove.

Just be sure to stop NIS from running at startup.

Revo worked well for me to remove an old version of Zone Alarm before installing NIS 2012...... [so far] best move I made.

Running NIS 2012 with MBAM pro real time....no problems at all.

cheers,
    feandur

8. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i concur, used this tools many times with great success :thumb:

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What tool is risky?

10. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

11. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

What about installing something like Revo Pro uninstaller on a trial & use it set to advanced clean?

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

13. Lucius

Lucius Registered Member

Guys, don't you have ever heard that don't never ever use 3rd party uninstallers to uninstall 3rd party av softwares? Just make it safe and clean: first add/remove and then use av's own uninstall tool if possible.

And what comes to psexec.. It's a damn useful, powerful and nice utility. If you're stupid enough to delete something that you shouldn't with psexec; sorry, it's your own fault. And if you might know what keys belongs to norton etc.. Make it always sure and use google. And if you don't have any idea, don't delete anything. Use it or not but don't be fool. ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.