help protecting my computer from family network and from local sniffing/snooping

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by majorpain, Jan 26, 2017.

1. majorpain

majorpain Registered Member

I'm not really sure but I suspect someone may be trying to get hold of logins or already have logins and can easily regain password by sniffing/snooping localy on network
    first up I use my moms home internet however I am plugged in by a powerline adapter kit hardwired to the dsl router.

I recently tonight been doing some research and came across something called sniffers I think is the term like wireshark I believe was a program used an an example. how can I defend against this? would getting a separate router plugged in having only my computer connected to that router then going through to the family router help?

what else can I do to keep my passwords secure?

another option is I could possably get another wifi router and if my isp allows it (small town isp) could possably put the wireless route set it up for the entire household and somehow changing last router outgoing to have only me on it? not sure what the best way here is cause then couldn't someone just ping the houses ip number and have root local sniffing or something? would it be easyer to have my own router although that router would passthrough the main router.

what can be done here to keep from localized sniffing/snooping. I'm not sure as to why at one time was thought I reported my sister for he social security benifitss wich is stup inpossable and id of not had any reason to to begin with. am older now family has a house on land out in the middle of nowhere and I need to make sure no-ones trying to get ahold of my logins or try to be me for whatever reason. maybe just being paranoid have a diagnosis but still dosnt hurt to know what I can to protect identity while I'm here.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. guest

guest Guest

If the website where you are doing the logins is protected by SSL (https) you don't need to be worried about wireshark or any sniffing tool

3. majorpain

majorpain Registered Member

ok, but would adding a router isolating my pc. would that provide any better protection just a basic nat router. there is one everyone uses but if i added a second one would that be of any benifit whatsoever

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.