help: PG & detecting keyboard hooks

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by cdebr8kr, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdebr8kr

cdebr8kr Registered Member

I have the PG v3.150 Full version installed. I installed a game called Heavy Weapon from PopCap. The PG alert said the game is trying to create a global Low Level Keyboard hook.

So I contacted PopCap to get confirmation on whether or not the game is in fact installing a keyboard hook, but they won't confirm or deny. Instead they only say my "spyware" detection app needs to update their definitions because it is giving a false positive.

I didn't tell them I'm running PG, because I didn't want them to recode around PG if that's possible.

So anyone have any ideas on what the real story is? The game itself only requires a mouse to click to play the game.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. some made up name

some made up name Registered Member

Is there anything in that game that could be using the keyboard (eg. shortcut keys)? If not, then it is quite peculiar that it would use a keyboard hook and should definately be viewed as suspect.

Keyboard Hooks can be used to change the characteristics of a window relative to keyboard input, eg. restricting an open / save dialog from allowing the user to cut / copy / paste items via the respective keyboard shortcuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.