help needed...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by scaredsh!tle55, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (hope this is right forum 4 this?) have always used dial-up n no probs w/most firewall configs. trying dsl now, n can't connect w/norton, sygate n mcafee(NOT at the same time of course) ! have tried 2 allow the dsl app, but doesn't seem 2 show the right 1 ? NOTE-i have NO trusted apps(though i tried 2 allow the dsl) 2 access the net. is there a combo of apps i need 2 allow 4 this? the only way i can get online is 2 disable firewall ! VERY counterproductive! any help is greatly appreciated(please reply in "idiots english" 4 me, as i am not a techie!)!
    TIA

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Could you tell us a little more about the way you set up the connection?
    Are you connecting through an external modem ?
    Did you make new rules or are you applying the same ones as for dial-up?
    What OS are you using?
    Anything you feel that it might be related could help.

Regards,

Pieter

3. using XP-home. tried mcafee, norton, sygate(which all worked fine w/dial-up). tried creating rules(including allowing "all" !). nothing. sorry i didn't reply sooner, had 2 reinstall OS w/factory supplied "ghost"disk, just 2 get back online! hope u can help? thanx in advnance.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Hi scared,

Did you disable the XP firewall?
    Rightclick the connection icon > Properties > Tab Advanced > Uncheck Firewall

HTH,

Pieter

5. root

root Registered Member

Hi. Since you reinstalled the image, have you installed another firewall yet?
    Please keep in mind, only one firewall INSTALLED on a machine at a time. If there were any other firewalls installed before, you need to make sure they have been completely removed and the registry cleaned if you know how to use jv16 power tools or something like that.
    We can help you best, if you slow down and try one thing at a time. Please try to start from scratch with Norton or Sygate since you seem to have those. Before you install it, please make sure the XP firewall is disabled. Also, if you have installed more than one firewall since you restored the image, you might want to restore again and start with a clean install of your firewall of choice.
    After you have installed the firewall, try the DSL and see what happens. You will of course have to allow some rules, and make sure you are not blocking DNS or DHCP.
    If you are still having problems, please let us know, what firewall, lan information, what kind of router, and what exactly happens when you try to surf, but can't.

6. supernewbie

supernewbie Guest

yep...disabled xp's. used reg cleaner 2 get rid of all, n yes, only 1 at a time. have yet 2 reinstall one, cause each time i do...it's a reinstall, before i can get back online(unless i'm really missing something in the reg?). 2 think, puter is about 3 weeks old n have reinstalled OS 4x already!!! ouch!
    anything else comes 2 mind as 4 "specific" parts or clients(etc)of the ISP, that i have 2 allow(tried the ISP's but still doesn't work?
    BTW: kept getting "error 678" if that means anything 2 anyone"?
    really do NOT want 2 allow "all" if i can avoid it(defeats the purpose of a frwl!).
    thanx again.

7. Pieter_Arntz

Well, it leads me to think you are blocking the response from the server somehow.
    See if this helps: http://www.anzwers.org/free/xpdsl/error678.htm

Regards,

Pieter

8. root

root Registered Member

What firewall do you have installed now?

9. NONE! that's why i'm scaredsh!.....! trying 2 limit online time. but i will check out the link. be back 2 let u know if it helps, etc.
    thanx again

10. The Snowman

The Snowman Guest

SUGGESTIONS:

While trying to locate your DSL connection problem may I suggest that you install a free dial-up so as to be able to surf using a firewall. JUNO offers 10 free hours.

The problem you are experiencing seems a Modem issue.
    Could be due to several causes. Its unlikely that its a firewall issue. Common sense says that if your firewall worked on a dial up it should work on a DSL.

You payed your money....demand that your Dsl provider help you solve the problem!!!!!!!!!

SUGGESTION: Start at the beginning.....reformat..an use the XP firewall........leave the rest until later...when the problem is resolved.

some comments......xp and dsl works correctly using any of these firewalls: Sygate..Zone Alarm..Kerio..LookNStop....I have tested these on xp and dsl.

So obviously the modem is not correctly set on your computer. Possible you may have a bad modem......possible the "handshake" time needs to be longer....possible a New Connection needs to be made....
    .......none of this is said to be an answer to your problem...right now it appears that you first need to get back on the internet safely.......an if you did not on a dial up than a free dial up service will get you here so others can help.

The Snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.