Help needed with PG and disabling xp Services

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Paul_P, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_P

Paul_P Registered Member

I just did a clean xp install with all security updates. I also just installed all my security software. (Firewall, AV,etc) I also installed the paid version of PG.

What I want to do now is go to Black Viper's page and find out what XP services I want to disable. (I'm using a stand alone pc with a single user)

I'm just not sure how to go about it. Can someone tell me if this will work?...
    - Disable PG protection
    - Disable unneeded services
    - Enable Learning Mode in PG
    - Reboot
    - Disable Learning mode and enable PG protection

I'm also not sure if I should disable 1 service at a time. (and reboot each time)

Could someone please offer any advice on my situation before I proceed?

Thanks
    Paul

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Paul_P,

It is not necessary to disable PG or use Learning Mode when turning off unnecessary services. It is a good idea to be cautious (one or two at a time, then reboot) when turning off services.

Nick

3. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

black vipers site is very good source of info for disabling and learning what each service does. i would wait to see what others say, but i think you're on the right track. personally, i installed pg after i was done tweaking my settings, but only because i didn't know pg existed at the time. just be carefull and keep track of the services u disable in case u have any troubles. make sure u read their descriptions, dependencies, and functions carefully. you do not have to reboot every time u disable something. i would go throught the list and tweak every service i wanted then do a reboot. if your not sure if u need a particular service, you can always put it in "manual" instead of "disable". also be sure u do your tweaking through control panel->administrative tools->services, and not through ms config. this site and this one may help if you feel like doing some further tweaking in the future with start-up programs and different xp settings.

4. Paul_P

Paul_P Registered Member

Kudos for the quick responses. As a new user to PG, I just wasn't sure if PG needed to learn that that the new Services were no longer running. I've disabled them before using Black Viper's advice so I'm not anticipating any problems on that end.

Like I stated earlier, I just did a clean xp install. This was due to the fact that my computer was acting pretty funny. Mainly, I would get memory access violations for alot of my security software. (and of course, other things) After the message would pop up about the error, my computer would totally crawl to the point where I had to physically turn off the box. I couldn't shut down through windows. This could have just been something in XP but after reading about process guard, it made me pretty paranoid cause I had no idea about code injection and stuff like that. So after reinstalling XP and adding PG, I actually feel alot safer. (But not invincible, of course)

Thanks again for your help
    Paul_P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.