help needed: restore boot partition to 2nd partition on same drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RichardMW2, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardMW2

RichardMW2 Registered Member

I am trying to an upgrade to Windows 7 from my current Vista install without losing the current Vista install. Basically, I want to "clone" partition 1 to partition 2 but there does not seem to be an option to do this.

I have a complete ATI 11 backup on a network drive.

I tried to do a file by file restore to a second partition. The restore hangs part ways through and never completes.

I suspect I need to do an image restore.
    I saw an FAQ posting on doing this with Acronis Disk Director. I only want to use ATI and not Disk Director.

What is the best, fastest, safest way to do this restore?

2. RichardMW2

bump now.
    Has this already been answered in another post?

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Richard,
    TrueImage Home cloning is at disk level--not partition level.

To do what you want to do, use your completed backup and restore your current system partition overtop the second partition.

I would rename the second partition so it cannot be confused as to which partition it which and use the TrueImage Home Rescue CD to perform the chore.

All data on 2nd partition will be lost and new partition size will be same as current 2nd partition size.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RichardMW2,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Officially none of the Acronis software doesn’t support Windows 7, so we can’t analyze or perform any diagnostic regarding this question/issue. Though GroverH solution is correct.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

5. RichardMW2

Acronis Support,
    My intention was to use Acronis under Windows XP to clone my XP partition and then to install a Win 7 upgrade. I was not asking about using Acronis under Windows 7.

By the way, you used a double negative saying:
    "Officially none of the Acronis software doesn’t support Windows 7".
    Reading your sentence carefully, you are stating that Acronis officially supports Windows 7. I don't think that was what you intended.

Unofficially, I have tried Acronis Home under Win 7 by doing a restore from a network drive and it seems to work better than it does under Windows XP. Faster. Fewer error messages.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RichardMW2,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

To avoid the misunderstanding, Acronis software don't support Windows 7 now. The compatibility is in the process of development.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.