HELP: need to recover Vista admin username

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by C00LU5ername, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C00LU5ername

C00LU5ername Registered Member

Hi,

My friend is using a computer he's not used for a while. Whilst we (both) know the password, neither of us can remember the admin account name....

What's the quickest way to resolve this? [MSDaRT 6 is probably out as I don't want to spend any pennies.]

Thanks in advance.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Once upon a time you could download an .iso that you burned. It was a bootable cd that could recover such things. I don't remember what it was called but I found it once for an XP machine and it worked pretty well. Wished I still had it, but I forgot to label the CD and it has since gone awol.

Sul.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

5. C00LU5ername

C00LU5ername Registered Member

So basically run this, select [Edit user data and password], view the account names it extracts from the SAM, restart windows, enter (the now known) admin name + known password.

Thanks. That's very simple.

Do you know if any of the better known packages (Ophcrack, Cain and Abel, John the Ripper, etc.) will achieve the same end as neatly? [My preference is to run software that's had broad peer review, if possible.]

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Kon-Boot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.