help me to have the strongest true and vera partition please

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by mantra, Sep 17, 2017.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i'm still using truecrypt to encrypt
    can you help me to select the strongest truecrypt format settings?
    i'm talking about encryption algorithm & hash algorithm ,what should i select to have to strongest settings
    i google a lot and i got lots of conflicting opinions :confused:
    https://i.imgur.com/Kmj3SNj.png
    https://i.imgur.com/ALufQLL.png
    https://i.imgur.com/dNYrYUC.png
    and about veracrypt , i use only because it's updated and still developed ,and i use to encrypt partitions and i want to encrypt a new laptop
    https://i.imgur.com/VZgzYMh.png
    https://i.imgur.com/kwVO9VE.png

thanks

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Is AES rumoured to have a backdoor for the US government to break in?

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    for many users AES-Twofish-Serpent with SHA-512 should be the best
    but it 's slow ,it's not good for encrypt an entire laptop (operation system )
    thanks

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What on earth are you trying to protect. There used to be a truecrypt support thread. Go back and look at it. Count the number of posts by people saying how they were protected from something, and then count the number of posts of people asking for help getting back into their machines.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi yes
    i have used the search engine

well , my girlfriend's laptop she is a lawyer ,and she own an external hard disk ,with a partition with client data

but i want to encrypt a new laptop (a lenovo) , truecrypt doesn't support UEFI , veracrypt yes

1)
    i would like to know the strongest settings to encrypt a partition
    2)
    and a good balance of speed for the laptop
    thanks

6. brians08

brians08 Registered Member

We're talking about lawyer/client privileged data. I would suggest Bitlocker. Bitlocker offers many features that protect the lawyer as well as the client. If you are using windows, that is your biggest security risk not the encryption algorithm. There are so many backdoors into Windows. If the FBI wants the data, they will find a way to capture the password as it is typed in. It won't matter if it is TrueCrypt of Bitlocker.

7. Peter2150

Usually if it's something that needs protecting the law firm will have the computer set up. Her IT department should handle it. If you do it and there is a problem it could cause problems for either of you.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    she's young , she have not important clients but she want to protect hes work and their privacy
    so you suggest to use bitlocker and avoid truecrypt and veracrypt , do you?

i have always tought truecrypt and veracrypt are better and more secure then bitlocker
    thanks

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I suggest using 7zip & a long password but remember-able [like: GivethebirdaCadillac.]. And give each client their own folder so it doesn't take 10 minutes to open or becomes corrupt. I'd keep the same password rather 100's of passwords.

Course have backup offline copies.

10. Peter2150

Mantra I am going to say something and I know it may sound harsh. You are trying to advise a young professional person, about something which clearly you know nothing about. If you knew enough you wouldn't be here asking questions. This to me is highly questionable ethics. She doesn't need any encryption, she needs to know how to protect her computer. Do you have any idea of the risks of what you are thinking of recommending. Does she. Why isn't she here at this forum herself.

You are putting her and actually yourself at risk.

Pete

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Pete
    do you mean to encrypt an entire laptop , can be a very risk? in case of password lost or veracrypt bug?

she just asked me some advises ,what came soon in my mind it's to encrypt her data to keep secure ,for secure i mean nobody can read them

do you mean log-in password is enough? her laptop came with w10

hi Pete i know you were always kind , i know you don't want to be rude , it's just that english is not my native language

just because she knows nothing about computer and security outside installing an antivirus , i have used truecrypt in the past ,it was my first advise

thanks Pete , apprecite it

12. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I use both Bitlocker and Truecrypt, in different circumstances. I don't think you're talking about protecting against nation state stuff here.

For a lot of reasons, assuming Windows, I'd recommend using system disk encryption using Bitlocker on a laptop that has a TPM chip. That way, on the many times one tends to boot-up/resume the laptop, you don't need to enter a long strong password. I take it you know the requirements for at-rest encryption password strength? Entering that every time is a pain. If you have any additional disks that are connected for client data or backup, those too can be automatically unlocked from the user account without consuming additional drive letters with Bitlocker, and without having to enter passwords every time (which are potentially vulnerable to keystroke loggers). In addition, if we're talking about something like W10, that can use the TPM to help protect against boot-level malware.

I would also protect the account login, for example with a Yubikey HMAC dongle which supports Windows login. That means that the disk can't be accessed by accessing a weak user account.

Then, on top of that, you can use Truecrypt/Veracrypt, to suit.

I'd also recommend equipping the laptop with lots of memory and ssd so that you can run one or more virtual machines to do browsing and email and social media. Doing so greatly reduces the risk of your "real" filesystem (and data) becoming vulnerable to exfiltration or ransomware. Disk encryption is only part of the risk.

If this is "too much", then by all means, get a technically inclined friend to help.

13. Peter2150

Hi Mantra.

The only way any one can read plain text on her laptop is if she is careless with it, ie where she leaves it etc/ The problem with encryption is if something goes wrong every thing is lost. That's bad.

In terms of her knowledge she should be here reading asking questions etc. That way she can learn. I realize she may be worried about her English. She shouldn't be. That we understand.

Pete

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

no way ,just a lawyer can't release any information about his/her clients , even a leak could be the end of a career (even she/he is very young)
    she wants nobody can read all client data ,even her boyfriend , the clients data (docoments,voice recording anything must be "Sealed"

well i will suggest Bitlocker maybe with the password in a usbstick or Yubikey HMAC or

that's is a very good point , lost everything could be even worse

@Peter2150 & @deBoetie
    thank you so much
    i will pass your advises

15. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

@mantra check if her laptop and hdd/ssd support hardware encryption.
    If they do, enable hardware encryption in the bios. It is much easier for most users.

ps.password in a usb stick is not a good idea; if it gets lost she will be locked out from her data.

Panagiotis

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I like my solution the best. Legally & morally she has CYA herself. After all she's not a 3letter, a nation state nor a 419er type. What more can be asked of her? My solution is simple to teach & use.

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks , i will say to her

i don't thing she will like to use 7-zip , i has installed
    thanks

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

She can't handle 7z but she can handle encryption? I don't think so.

19. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

One of the obvious other issues is that one is communicating sensitive stuff with other people. While you can't mandate the security practices of others, you can at least ensure you have a couple of options for secure encrypted communications and collaboration that keep different client's material distinct.

There are a number of collaboration platforms, file-sharing systems and instant messaging platforms that are more or less secure.

If one is into a CYA type scenario, one of the more important things is to at least attempt to articulate some kind of policy that you are operating, and being able to demonstrate that you are following it. This has to include things like responsibility (difficult when it's a small operation), incident response, retention and so on. There are jurisdiction and industry dependent requirements on these things, and they may require registration.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.