Help me shut my wireless down - fast!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LockBox, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I used ZoneAlarm years ago and always liked the option to right click on the icon and completely shut off the internet connection. What's out there now that sits in the SysTray and can do this instant shutdown of all incoming/outgoing net traffic? Dell has the "Disable Radio" and that's nice, but on my HP ProBook, I am looking for that one-step "button" like the old ZoneAlarm - something light that's fast without my having to get into the networking configuration.. Any thoughts?

As always, thanks in advance!

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

On every computer I've had there's been a hardware switch to turn internet on/off.

3. LockBox

Yeah, I do have that 'radio' switch, but it's very clunky to reach on this particular laptop.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

This ;)

conec.gif

Find it in Networking = Dial Up Properties etc :thumb: I use it all the time ;)

5. LockBox

How do you get that XP style icon in the SysTray with Win7? That's two-step, but pretty darn quick. I need a program called 'Panic Button' that would reside in the systray and was just a big red button. (No, it doesn't exist - just in my mind!)...

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Originally Posted by LockBox

Win7 = no idea :p

Sure is :)

Hopefully someone will post a suggestion, and/or if you discover one yourself, let us know :thumb:

7. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Win7
    1. Click on the Network Icon in the Notification Area
    2. Click on Open Network and Sharing Center
    3. Click on Local Area Connection
    4. In the popup click on Disable

Or for one click make your own bat file. Run command prompt as administrator and type: wmic nic get name, index

Note the number on the left next to your networks name. Open notepad and type: wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=x call disable

Where x is the number you just noted. Save it to your desktop as disable.bat

Now do the same again but this time type: wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=x call enable

Where x is the number you noted. Save it to your desktop as enable.bat

Done.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Use Online Armor. Right click it's Systray Icon and the block network traffic is right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.