help me my computer keeps on restarting

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by amjad hussain, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amjad hussain

amjad hussain Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have you recently added any new programs? Do you receive any error messages before shut down? If not when was the last time you gave the fans and any ventilation holes a good cleaning of any dust, hair that may be blocking the air flow? As the first thing that comes to mind is overheating.

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

You haven't given us any background info to go on, but other than an overheating CPU, I would suspect a BIOS problem. Unless you (or someone else) just built the PC, chances are the CPU is ok.

At startup, enter the BIOS and make sure all of the settings seem to be correct. If you don't feel capable of doing that, you will find a setting where you can reload the BIOS' default settings. Then Exit (Saving Your New Settings). Doing that may fix your problem.

Good luck!

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Check your CPU temp, it can shut down the whole PC if it get's too hot.
    Use BIOS for temp checking.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  5. amjad hussain

i have not installed any new programes and it does not give me any warnings when it shuts down and also i have never cleaned my ventilation holes so i think thats the problem

can somebody read my minidumps please

thank you

6. amjad hussain

my computer is 28 months old and its windows xp. my problem started like 1 month ago when my pc start restarting i have not cleaned the ventilation holes since the day i bought it. Im not a computer expert thats why i really have no idea what the problem. however i think my cpu heats up. but sometimes when i turn my computer on it restarts straight away

7. Brian N

A CPU takes less than 10 seconds to heat up without cooling.
    You need to remove the side of the case, turn the computer on, wait 10 seconds and turn it off. Unplug the power wire and put your hand or finger on the CPU cooler (the metal). If it's burning hot, there's something wrong with your cooler and you need to replace it before turning on your computer again. It could also be a cable that's gone loose somewhere.

I suggest you contact someone who knows about hardware (a friend or something) and let them check it, and replace the cooler if that's the problem.

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

You don't have to be a computer expert to clean your PC. Just do it. :doubt:

9. Brian N

Yep, I clean mine once a month. If I didn't do it, it would be full of dust & other nasty stuff.
    (it has 4 fans to suck air in).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.