Help me decide on a Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Tex Zero, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

For a month ?!!! You are kidding. So for a month you were not protected or needed another firewall to protect you ? And any visur that came to the scene during this month was approved and remembered by your firewall as legal software ?

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

No! Learning mode gives a pop-up for every new app, for the user to approve! Custom mode goes by the rules that you made!

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Do you have a hardware Firewall ? if so - is there some special reason why you need a software Firewall ? Unless you live life dangerously a good hardware firewall plus Firefox and a few add ons should be enough.

4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Hardware firewall can be very good on inbound, but it cannot be that good on outbound. For example, in case malware starts your IE with all your passwords in commandline hw firewall can do nothing about it. It just allows TCP, 80:Any.

5. 19monty64

HIPS would be a better idea, IMO...

6. Long View

If you don't let anything bad in then outbound is not important. I would rather have a good hardware Firewall and no software firewall than no hardware Firewall and the best software firewall available.

7. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This is a matter of taste and experience. But not to let anything in you should not start anything new on your computer. Most of the malwares is started by a user, or taken as ActiveX, VB script etc. Also different nice utilities. And remember the childrens and games. New malware doesn't rely on direct intrusion. To prevent direct intrusion XP native firewall is quite enough. But it cannot stop childrens from pressing pretty buttons while surfing the Internet. One wrong press and computer is infected. No HW firewall can help here. So .. HW firewall can be recommended to advanced users with strong security policy in mind and strong understanding how the whole system works, but never to the great army of the "moms and pops" ..

8. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Be like me and have both. Outpost pro and Netgear router. When properly configured hardly anything will get through.

9. 19monty64

If adding a s/w-firewall to the router set-up, I'd at least want to be able to shut off the inbound monitoring (s/w).

10. hierodule

hierodule Registered Member

Same thing here. I had it up to here this morning and almost uninstalled it... gonna wait a few more days before I start looking for something else.

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Try Sygate.
    It's a superb product.
    Mrk

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Have been using FF and Comodo FW for quite a while and never experienced your problem.:)

13. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

I have never had problems installing or running comodo on any pc's except once on a EMachine with customized version of XP Home. It simply would kill the OS and I had to reformat and reload. I gave up after the third attempt...

However this for some reason was an isolated incident. Like I mentioned earlier, I have installed comodo dozens of times on all sorts of setup and not troubles at all besides the users themselves getting confused. (which is relatively easy to do it seems). To booth I often install and configure it via remote admin over the internet... and with no troubles at all...

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I wholeheartedly agree. The loopback issue with Proxomitron made me
    go for Comodo. So far (apart from some rather minor issues) Comodo has
    been good to me.

15. hierodule

hierodule Registered Member

I think I found what my "problem" was, and quite by accident... for some reason, sometimes Comodo's pop-ups were appearing *behind* Firefox (or whatever other window I have up) so I never got to see the prompt to approve or cancel the connection, and thus FF would "hang" and never connect while that notification was unattended. :eek:

That, technically, solved my problem (i.e. I knew what to look for if that happened again)... but lazy as I am I just went ahead and checked "allow all activities for this application." I still get some pop-ups from Comodo every now and then, but no "pop unders" any more. Weird.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Kerio 2.15 is a good choice and you could even go as far as using Dynamic Security Agent in combo, like having dual-firewall protection without issues. At least i ran them both together for a good long while but since i now sandbox and virtualize i scaled back to single apps instead of multi-purpose combos.

Good Luck

17. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

how about free version of Online Armor? it has an excellent firewall, low on resource usage, and you even get some extra protection .

18. Long View

does the free version have a firewall ? if so, I can't find it.

19. fce

fce Registered Member

less software conflict....go with the suite (KIS)

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Messing around with all different flavors of firewalls can mess up your computer as much or more than any malware can.

My suggestion >>> Get a router if you don't already have one, then update your Kerio firewall to the latest version & you will have EXCELLENT protection.

aloha... bellgamin

21. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Are you referring to OA free?
    If so,yes it does have a firewall.

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

They suddenly changed their mind and released OA Free with firewall and HIPS.
    http://www.tallemu.com/free_trial.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.