help me choose antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by metallicakid15, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'd also suggest AVAST as maybe the best overall amongst the free antivirus. It also does very well against many of the paid versions. No antivirus is perfect and probably never will be. There are people here and on other forums who have used AVAST for years and won't have anything else on their computers.

Another point I like with AVAST is that they have a VERY good discussion forum, and the people there will go out of their way to help you if you have a problem. Answers or suggestions to help you come very quickly, sometimes minutes after you post. That's what I call real support.

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

2 reduce overhead, make sure that AutoProtect is enabled in NAV 2005 and disable NAV's Office plug-in.

4. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

so i guess staying with norton is the best solution i have or i could buy defender pro for 20$ its 15 in 1 package whihc uses kaspersky scanning engine if im not correct?

5. joter

joter Registered Member

I think that the best free AV will be Antivir personal edition classic 7.0, by far.
    Now its on beta. You can wait until Jan 17th.

Regards
    joter

6. Howard Kaikow

Which AV is best?
    If you ask 10 people, you may get 11 answers.
    No AV produce can catch unknown viri, worms, etc.
    Then it becomes an issue of which has the best heuristics?
    Well, I doubt that there's any effective way to determine which heuristics are best.

Despite my distaste for Symantec, I use NAV.
    Why?
    Because I program Office macros and I want to use the AV that likely has the largest market share, so I can see if there are any issues with NAV.

If you only need a single copy of NAV, there are deals almost all year long, some of which are $0 AFTER rebates.

Such deals are available at online sellers and at larger retailers, e.g., in the USA, Comp USA, Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples and Frys.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

o_O o_O

8. Howard Kaikow

u truncated the sentence.

9. TAP

TAP Registered Member

avast! Home Edition seems to work perfectly for me here, it's lite, no slow down, no obtrusion and no any problems related program itself. I've used avast! almost 1 year with good results, its automatic update mechanism works great, avast! catches many malware and even its heuristic in mail scanner module catches some worms before signature released.

10. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

AVG Free is a big $hit

11. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I think AVG Free's detection rates is good enough for prevent users from today's most dangerous viruses, worms, trojans that are circulating in the wild, even though AVG Free doesn't detect spyware, adware and riskware (AVG Pro does) and the good things about AVG Free are that it's lite, simple and stable.

But the big drawback of AVG Free is that it has no automatic update mechanism at all, it has simple scheduled task for checking update only once a day so when it comes to a big outbreak that Grisoft releases signature several time a day so AVG Free's users are in the high risk if they don't do a manual updates.

With avast! Home you can set it to do an automatic checking for update hourly.

12. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Me... also, I use and trust Avast! Home Edition. ;) Its free and really good and has lots of features that you'll probably discover not expected in a free anti-virus package. Its one of the best around. :cool: Just add Script Blocker software coz it's not available in the free version, only on pro. As of now my Microsoft Antispyware Beta provides me protections for this.. it has Script Blocker, and also the No Scripts extension on my Firefox browser adds another layer for me.

For back-up on-demand scanners (for more peace of mind)... also use BitDefender 8 free, Kaspersky free cleaner, and Dr. Web free, and also the ClamWin Anti-virus (but this is slow in scanning... but very effective). :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2005
  13. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

hmm i did a safe mode scan with norton 2005, so then i unistalled norton, installed avast and found remaining files of the sasser worm virus.... on boot scan with avast..

im sticking with avats now i like it even though it might fall a little lower than norton in detection rate.

14. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    If Avast can be possibly disabled by some malwares or advanced Trojans... how can we protect it to avoid this thing to happens? o_O

Can we use and trust process protection software/s like ProcessGuard to protect it from being terminated or modified? :rolleyes: o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.