Help, I've Got Google Paranoia

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Brandonn2010, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

It could be my neurotic-ness, but most likely it's the articles about Google circumventing privacy features in Safari and now IE. I want to know if there is a way I can use Google's search engine, without them saving my IP, etc.

Also, we have Comcast and a router that uses NAT I believe, so does the IP recording even matter?

2. marktor

marktor Registered Member

Use Google Search without IP logging at this website
    https://www.startingpage.com/

And being behind a router does nothing to protect your online identity. Your IP address is your identity online. So to answer your question. Yes it matters.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If you're on Firefox you can activate DoNotTrack and also install AdBlock Plus, which has an implementation of DoNoTrack. If you're on Chrome just use ABP.

You should also block 3rd party cookies. There should be a setting in your browser for that.

If you can use something like NoScript or ScriptNo just blacklist the Google adsense and tracking stuff. I use ScriptNo to block social widgets like "like" and "+1" things that track users.

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

5. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Use Google Chrome. There will be no paranoia anymore :D

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

All of the suggestions above are a help to you.

Personally I hate data collection from my web surfing. I am one of those that assign great merit to using a VPN for all my surfing. They are cheap or free and then google never sees your IP, and in fact your ISP doesn't see where you surf so they can't collect a database on your habits either. They only see you connect to a VPN and then you are gone from their view. By moving among VPN servers you don't really create anything useful for google and the many others out collecting stuff on you.

I do the above for privacy and not security. There is some security added too, but its mostly about privacy since I am not doing anything online I am worried about.

7. Brandonn2010

I should have mentioned I use Chrome and want to stay with it. I already adjusted its settings as instructed earlier. I already use AdBlock PLUS with Fanboy's list, EasyList, and malwaredomainslist. I just added Disconnect, but what exactly does it do? Would it be safe to use Google search now? I've tried Startpage but the results aren't the same as Google's.

8. Hungry Man

9. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

If you dont want anyone to log your real ip your going to have to use a VPN or a proxy, you need a VPN though if you dont want your ISP to see or log your traffic.

Startpage does not record your ip or search history so you may benefit from that? but when you click on the site your going to visit it is clear as day to your isp unless your using a good VPN which encrypts domain names ect.

Google Chrome has many privacy issues, they have built in trackers in their browser, just like their retarded Toolbar, Google Chrome is from Google so your Google Browser is going to make Google Money from all the data they collect about you. their are alternatives like IRON that leaves out all the tracking bullcrap that is included in Google Chrome. but if your using a VPN none of that would really matter unless your visiting sites like facebook which has your real name all over it.

If you use comcast you might want to go into your comcast settings and unclick domain helper, then use another DNS Service provider like OpenDNS NortonDNS, or ComodoDNS ect.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. Brandonn2010

@Hungry Man - Won't HTTPS Everywhere keep my antivirus from scanning the web, or will it still stop malware once it tries to get on my PC?

@Warlockz - I don't want Google to track my IP, but any additional privacy measures are good. Also, is there an add-on that would let me use a proxy? What's a good proxy to use? Plus, I already set up Norton DNS in our router months ago.

11. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

I think the best you can do if you use chrome and want to use Google to search is search using https://encrypted.google.com, Use Fanboys Enhanced tracking list to take care of Doubleclick and Google Analytics etc. and you could even block Google cookies from being set by adding [*.]google.com to “manage exceptions” and setting it to block. As well as what’s already been suggested, HTTPS Everywhere and blocking 3rd party cookies. I’d even untick the other things under the privacy settings except malware and phishing protection.

12. Hungry Man

Your AV should still work fine.

13. Brandonn2010

Ok. It sounds like I'm set then. Thank you all.

However, I believe the HTTPS Everywhere is slowing my page loading speeds noticeably.

14. Hungry Man

HTTPS shouldn't slow things down too much.

15. Warlockz

I don't use Google Chrome but I Found Proxy Switchy at the Chrome web store looks pretty easy to use.

As for a proxy, their are basically millions of them it all depends on what your planing to use it for? you should search for a proxy forum if that is the rout you are trying to take and learn as much about proxy's and how to properly use them so your doing it correctly ect

If it was me I would invest in a good VPN service which is more secure than some free proxy, but in the end it depends on what you are using it for.

16. inka

inka Registered Member

I expect "DoNotTrack" is a cruel joke.
    Hi, my name is Ben Dover. Here's my (plugin GUID, browser fingerprint, whatever) now please don't track me.

= = = = =

"Disconnect" plugin failed to install to a WinXP sandboxed firefox v10, and similarly failed to install to firefox v9.xx under Debian.
    I unzipped the xpi to see what the plugin is SUPPOSED to do.
    Could be a design flaw; could reflect intent to force-feed necessary plugin updates ~~ in any event, it's not "extensible". Instead of just being coded to block domains X,Y,Z (twitter, facebook, google) the plugin contains (depends on) presence of 2 supplied icons per targeted domain. Omigosh, if we enable the user to arbitrarily self-select targeted domains, we can't keep 'em on the hook...

The Disconnect plugin's developer has been quite the blogosphere attention whore.
    You call this plugin a burger?!? Where's the beef?
    The concept for the disconnect plugin is NOT novel
    (ref: http://priv3.icsi.berkeley.edu/ )
    and, subsequent to 10+ months of hype, hasn't been adequately debugged / stabilized.
    -=-
    loose ends:
    Brian Kennish
    ref: http://likeplusone.org ~~ link labeled "work for WebMynd" leads to a 404 page (webmynd.com/jobs.html)
    -=-
    WebMynd? WebMynd?!?
    Google it. A year or so back, "webmynd" claim to fame was
    search widget that records, eternally, your search history.... ouch
    -=-
    http://angel.co/disconnect
    check out self-professed byline ~~ "The Symantec of privacy."
    (ooooh, that'll instill trust in the reader, eh)
    -=-
    byoogle.blogspot.com/
    (no, not daily, as claimed in the masthead. and not great)
    -=-
    http://code.google.com/p/byoogle/ let's play follow the bouncing ball?
    googlecode-hosted support "forum" for disconnect plugin (moved to guthub?)
    dangling, unresponded bug reports
    (abandoned group was never closed)
    -=-
    So, IMO, the scenario went something like:
    Angel investor, clueless about the history of "webmynd", hands 'em grant money.
    Disconnect is released (and hyped) as "built-with" webmynd product...
    ...and clueless investors are hit up for additional fundage (approx $1MM to date).

EDIT:
    The "home" page for the googlecode project does provide notice "This repository is deprecated" along with links
    (that the page wasn't my entrypoint when I followed the Google search results link)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  17. Warlockz

:thumb: +1

18. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

That I can live with. The lack of transparency surrounding the project is something I find harder to swallow ;)

My current setup is a cocktail of Blocker - the only one that properly filters sites such as spiegel.de - together with ScriptNo and Vanilla Cookie Manager. They're working well together and are relatively easy to maintain.

Blocker
    http://www.chrome-plugins.info/detail/epdedalbkhcbhcmcpfglmhngjpgimcmm

ScriptNo
    http://www.chrome-plugins.info/detail/oiigbmnaadbkfbmpbfijlflahbdbdgdf

Vanilla Cookie Manager
    http://www.chrome-plugins.info/detail/gieohaicffldbmiilohhggbidhephnjj

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

By itself, isn't Mozilla's DoNotTrack currently just symbolic ... ?

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

21. Hungry Man

It asks ads not to track if that's what you mean. Not every ad has to comply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.