help hijack log netsky virus for sure

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by apple, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Hi, I just noticed your posts over at spywareinfo. It seems that you had alot of trouble trying to post your hijack log. Have you gotten ahold of anyone there yet? Due to the attacks on spywareinfo, it can be hard to stay logged in there or strange things will happen to your posts. I'll draw attention to your thread and see if we can get help.

2. apple

apple Registered Member

no i have had no replies or talked to anyone there, thanks for helping.

I compared my computer working to the one that is not and noticed a couple of things. on the good computer when i start it it goes to 3 screens the 3rd one seems to me to be the boot and then it goes to the starting windows screen were you can press f8 on the computer not working it goes to 2 screens does not seem to be a 3rd boot screen after the 2 it goes to the starting windows screen. Also in the BIOS on the good computer boot sequence is A, CDROM, C on the computer not working it is A, C, SCSI. I don't now if any of this means anything but thought i would add it.

3. k3dc

k3dc Registered Member

When you go into Setup, set the boot sequence to "A, CDROM, C"- in that order. It's never getting to the ROM drive as it is now. Good luck. ;)

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

Everyone,

Why can't we just work here? I think there are enough experts to get this started. This is a fine Forum. I would not suggest moving to SWI. If anything I would suggest going to an Operating System Forum. This has now become an Operating System problem. And if we can't get you out of this here, I'll suggest going to one.

Mo

5. Nick

Nick Registered Member

Last I heard about this was Apple was talking with someone in the chatroom, so hopefully that's helping. If she posts again, it should be here because she was having a hard time getting a complete post over @ SWI. The board has been acting up the past few days.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

apple,

I checked your thread at SWI and there is a note that you are being helped in their chatroom.

Let us know how you did. We don't want to duplicate any advice.

Mo

7. apple

apple Registered Member

Ok so i did get some help over there, I was able to reinstall windows parallel to the windows i already had. This gave me all my old files but of course this is not the same. We did try the emergency repair process and it did not work. I am wondering if i used the recovery console if that would work?

Anyways i had to change the BIOS to cdrom to get the disc to work, and then after that i finally got the boot page up. What i don't get is why am i not getting a boot page?

I'm just hoping there is something else i can do to get the old windows back, i do not want to really start with a new one, even though i can get the old folders.

any ideas?
    thanks

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

Yes. The boot sequences ithe BIOS was suggested here too.
    Are you saying you did a repair install? Or you used your Emergency Repair Disks?

Also, is your new install the same version Is that the same service pack as the old? You are right. You have a brand new registry there and so none of your old programs are installed.

Boot to you new system and look at the old system32 folder to see if Winlogon.exe is present.

We can also now use the new system to tshoot the old. There is such a thing as loading a hive from your old registry so we can look at certain keys to see if they are ok.

Are you not getting the boot menu now on regular start?

9. apple

apple Registered Member

Did a repair install, and that did not work. It is the same setup disc's orginally used but on the old i had it updated.

I will check on the other ? you asked

10. apple

apple Registered Member

i found the winlogon.exe

11. rand1038

rand1038 Spyware Fighter

If I may clarify a point, I did not mean for you to post your problems at spywareinfo as you already have a forum topic going here. I directed you to that specific page becasue there is an applett there that can be used to access the chatroom and at the point where you could not boot a cd I thought it best to get live help in case something went wrong wihile working with the BIOS settings. Sorry for any misunderstandings

12. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

If you installed an older version of Win2k over a newer one using an older install CD I am not sure what you have there.
    This may not be something to consider undoing at this point. I am not sure where to start.

13. rand1038

rand1038 Spyware Fighter

Does the winlogon.exe file you found have a window with a view of the night sky and the moon in the foreground for an icon? What size and version is it?

For example, I have 2000 server, winlogon.exe is version 5.0.2195.6785 and is 177KB.

14. apple

apple Registered Member

my husband says it is the same discs he used to install windows the first time. we did download updates on the ohter one from the windows site though.

it does have a view of the night sky and the moon checking on the size and version

15. apple

apple Registered Member

it is 5.0.2195.2953 173kb

16. rand1038

rand1038 Spyware Fighter

You said earleir that you installed a new windows 2000 alongside the one that will not boot and then later said it was a repair install. Just to clariify, when you did the install as directed in the chatroom did you create a new partition and install windows to that. You will have the choice of either the new install or the old one that does not work on a boot menu when you turn on the computer if you did a fresh install into a seperate partition.

17. apple

apple Registered Member

I have the choice of 2 windows on the boot menu, 1 is the new and 1 is the old.

I hate this new one, everything has to be redone, like spyguard is not working. I went to microsoft to update and I tried updating service pack 4 and it tells me there is not enough memory. I dont get that, i had all the updates on the old one, i was real good about updating, i just went yesterday before i crashed and updated. So i had all the updates with no problem of memory. Not understanding this. When you go to add and remove programs none of the microsoft are there, they were on the old one.

18. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

What is the path to each.

Better yet, open C:\boot.ini in notepad.

Copy and paste the contents into your next reply.

Close it and if there were any changes made to the file DO NOT SAVE THEM.

19. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

Empty your Temporary Internet Files. And how much space is left on the hard drive now?

To find out if NTFS or Fat go to start >Run and type
    chkdsk

Press enter

This will check file and folder integrut. It will also tell you if you have FAT32 or NTFS as your file system.

I am trying to answer your old questions.

20. apple

apple Registered Member

not sure were to find that running a search for it

21. apple

apple Registered Member

cant find boot.ini

22. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

Start>run

Type C:\Boot.ini and press enter. It should open. If not

Paste in this command and press enter. Do not make any changes. Justr copy the contents here.

Notepad C:\boot.ini

Double click on my Computer to open. How many drives do you see?

23. apple

apple Registered Member

a,c,d and e
    NTFS it is still doing the chkdsk

24. apple

apple Registered Member

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

25. Mosaic1

Mosaic1 Guest

Ok Good.

We need to see boot.ini so we can fid out where the installs are located.

Whichever of those drives are Hard drives and not CD Drives, right click and choose properties. Get the free space and used space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.