HELP HELP! RE: comodo cert problem for someone runnin xp sp2?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by alljackedup, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alljackedup

alljackedup Registered Member

What can someone who runs XP sp2 do without having to upgrade to sp3 to solve this whole comodo certificate snafu? Is there a way to import the certificate revocation list from a disk that microsoft provides instead of going to the update website? I can't upgrade the computer to sp3 nor visit the update website so what are my options to help mitigate this comodo certificate problem? HELP PLEASE!

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if you have no updates since XP2 then missing cert one is neither here nor there. Make sure at least you have some of the latest alternative browsers installed like latest Firefox, Opera, Chrome etc.

3. alljackedup

Well I run 3 different security programs plus backup software but none of them deal with the certificate problem. Is my only hope to try opendns plus see if microsoft has a disk to import the offending certificates? The import wizard for the certificates for xp sp2 only works with cd rom discs. The use of alternate browsers would only be a partial solution I read because the new certificate lists aren't included yet with the new browser downloads as far as I can tell.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

as I'm sure you realise all that you are doing is partial solution if you can't patch the machine with all the security and other patches from MS

5. alljackedup

It's not that I absolutely CAN'T patch the machine. I just don't want to because I have the thing running perfectly well the way it's set up. Adding sp3 with my setup will undoubtedly cause problems and might very well break some programs I have. I prefer not to go through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling tons of software. I'll check with microsoft and see what they can do. All they really need to do is add 8-9 certificates onto a disc that I can import. Can't be too hard. We'll see. I tired of pretending I'm not special to microsoft. :)

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'd recommend you to update to SP3. Not only are you vulnerable to this faulty certificates, but also to the .LNK vulnerability and various other exploits.

7. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Not installing SP3 is stupid. Period.

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

take an image of your system, then install SP3.
    if that does not work for you just restore the image.

but i agree that you should have SP3 installed for your protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.